PDA

View Full Version : Not FFing: "Top 10 sandwiches in Sacramento"

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-31-2007, 09:57 AM
I just got an email from the Sacramento Bee listing the top ten pick of sandwiches made in Sacramento.

Thought this might be interesting for all of us fly fishers who want a good sandwich on our fishing trips?

http://www.sacbee.com/161/story/144775.html

WinterrunRon
03-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Don't know about all these fancy places but my vote is for the Hot Pastrami at any Togo's... awesome! Can't believe it didn't make the top 10.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-31-2007, 01:49 PM
"Right Arm" Ron

Togo and Subway are both good places to get a fresh healthy sandwich.

I will try that hot pastrami @ Togo's soon.

Our friend David Armocido of Colusa, CA goes to the Plaza Hofbrau (Sam's Hofbrau) at Watt and El Camino every time he comes into town to our fly shop. He buys 2 of their hot pastrami sandwiches; one to eat there and one for later.

I have been eating at that place for about 50 years, partly because it is between the shop and the Watt Avenue riffles.

Darian
03-31-2007, 03:03 PM
How about adding Corti Bros., at 59th & Folsom for the best deli sandwiches made to order in front of you :?: :?: Also, David Berkely's on Fair Oaks Blvd between Howe and Hurley :?: :?: Or, any La Bou for healthy but very good stuff :?: :?: And, if you want a good hot dog with anything you want on it, the Weinery on Elvas near "H" Street with a frosty mug of root beer. :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-31-2007, 04:53 PM
I guess we have more nice sandwich places than we can possible use in and around Sacramento?

When I had my old fly shop in 'Town and Country Village West' we had "Brother's Deli" where I had to have my cold cow tongue sandwich on light rye with just mustard.

My mom would cook a cow tongue when I was young and I loved that stuff but you don't see it available anymore?

Bluegrass Bill
03-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Bill and all,

First you guys have made me real hungry and I just had dinner not to long ago :D . I must admit I don't think I have every had one of those sandwiches from the top ten list but I will make a point to do that now. I do love several of the sandwiches at togo's and that is my mainstay for a good sandwich at a good price.

I will be fishing the lower sac tomorrow, gotta go make my sandwiches now :) . Hope I can give a good report tomorrow.

Bill

David Lee
04-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Ahhhhhh , memories !!

I used to go to the Crest a lot when I was a young dude ..... Rock concerts and all , the Sams Hofbrau across the street had Prime Rib Sandwiches that we would wash down w/ copious amounts of Watneys Red Barrel Ale . Quite tasty . Met a lot of nice girls there , as well ..... :evil:

These days , a grilled Panninni from Raleys is a good one . Try the Pacific (Pastrami) , but go light on the mustard .

David

Darian
04-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Here's a couple more great places to get a hot sandwich. :nod: Try the Hamburger or barbeque beef sandwich at Nationwide Meats on "H" between 19th & 20th Streets or any burger at Willy's Burgers on Broadway and 16th in downtown or on Fair Oaks and Arden in Fair Oaks. MMM, MMM Good stuff. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BigBuddha
04-02-2007, 03:20 PM
You folks would have loved the original Togo's on San Fernando Street in San Jose. The hot roast beef would be piled with meat. I think the top two sellers back then were the hot roast beef and the pastrami. On the weekends there would be lines out the door there. Looking back I don't think they would have passed too many health inspections, but they made great sandwiches. Heck it was the early 70's.