PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video

sculpin
03-27-2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.smallstreamsalmonfishing.com/movies/blackyarn/blackyarn.html

Darian
03-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow!!! Great video and a beautiful fish. To bad the rod broke (....operator error :( :( )

SteelieD
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I've got a friend who lands 10" fish like that! :lol: :lol: Need to teach the boy some technique!

That is a nice fish in such small water.

Hairstacker
03-27-2007, 10:45 PM
What would you call that, reverse-sticking? Nice fish though.

JT
03-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Was he planning on releasing the fish? He held it out of the water for quite a while.

sculpin
03-28-2007, 08:25 AM
I thought it was fun to watch, waiting for the rod to break.

Mark

titelinez
03-28-2007, 10:43 AM
That was funny :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

Digger
03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
You're right Tristan.
Definitely a poser, with poor skills.
I'd be embarassed to have this video posted.

jbird
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I really dony think he overplayed that fish at all. Have you ever hooked a silver that size? I think the bigger mistake was made by the photographer. that fish could have used two sets of hands. As nice as it would be to film the whole fight. The photographer should have hit pause and lent a hand. The only alternative for the angler would have been to beach that fish which would have been much more harmful.

Breaking a rod on film embarassing?...yes

Calling the guy an poser/amateur?...careful

dtp916
03-30-2007, 08:57 PM
That was a cool video, but that guy was putting way too much pressure on the rod for sure...I was just waiting for it to snap. :lol:

My buddy tried to horse in a big brown a couple weeks ago and lost him...rod didn't break though :lol:

Digger
04-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Jbird - that's my personal opinion.

watching the video, you could tell it was editied and shortened by who knows how long. Using under-weighted setup was not the right choice in this instance.

sculpin
04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Check the introduction to the video clip. It indicates the video is about improper rod use.

Mark

Matthewc
04-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi guys I am the one in the video and I wanted to take a minute to talk about the film.

Often times when I film alone I place the camera on a rock to film the landing and when doing so I must "highstick" the fish to bring it in at my feet for the landing to be seen on the small 28mm camera lens. My real bad habit is to chock up on the rods because I have a weak wrist. I use Lamiglas G1000 fly rods that for the most part can take this type of abuse however on this day I made a double whammy mistake. The rod in question was a 9 weight G1000. Even though someone else had taken the camera, out of habit I still high sticked the fish that was around 12 lbs. This alone would have been ok but then I also chocked up on the rod which caused it to crack under pressure. You can not do both even with a rod as strong as a G1000. I have fished these rods for over 12 years and this is the first time I have ever broken one of them. The fight time was normal for a fish of this size. The fish was also a hatchery fish of Eagle Creek origine from the Clackasmas river system here in Oregon. I retained the fish. 1 of 4 I retained in close to a hundred landed that season. I generaly practice catch and release but retain a few brats from time to time and this was indeed one of them.

This was one of the first films I ever did and since that time we have become a very popular west coast free angling film web resource site viewed and respected by many. I now have often people with me to help me film and my habit of high sticking has somewhat backed off with this newfound help im getting.

The moral of the story is if your rod is strong enough you can do one or the other but not the 2 combined. That is why we include a driver error disclaimer in the beggining of the film. I am not sure what the rules of engagement for this forum are and it is late at night so I will look tommorow but for now I will not post a link to my site unless the admins request so.

We recently had a feature article in the Oregonian news paper by Bill Monroe about our activities and we are an ifish.net sponsor. We have about 3000 regular viewers. I have been fly fishing my whole life but am not limited to. I am not a purist fly fisherman and enjoy fishing many methods and types of rods. My films are set to be shown on Metro East Comcast Cable channels in about 30 days starting with a film call "Wild Coastal Salmon" where I am using a 10 weight G1000 to land & release 2 wild Oregon coho over 15 lbs among many others. This film is currently available for viewing on my web sites movie page. PGP Action Short film #4. In this film you can see how I use the often unfavorable "highsticking" to bring the fish in at my feet for a close up landing on film with no breakage.

Ide like to thank you all for taking the time to view one of my first films and as always the response is not only expected but most interesting. Nice to meet you all and hope that our films can act as a learning tool for many. There is much more then breaking a rod to be learned from this film.

Peace

Matthew Clark
Pacific Ghost Productions &
Small Stream Salmon Fishing

Matt Frey
04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
I appreciate your post.
Regards
Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Wild stuff.......thanks Matthew Clark.

Where do you live?

Hairstacker
04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Matthew, thanks for posting! Really appreciated hearing your perspective, particularly one tendered in such a low key manner after all our rod handling heckling. :D I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors and will be looking forward to seeing more of your videos.

Matthewc
04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Wild stuff.......thanks Matthew Clark.

Where do you live?

I am up in Northern Oregon near Portland but it may be a nice surprise to know that I grew up fly fishing the very same waters as you folks in California. I have seen and fished most all of them. Infact I am very glad I found this board because I finaly get to see again pics of old home waters and how the runs in some of the basins are doing. It is heartfelt to see these again and hope I can get down there some day soon. Nice to see the Russian had a good year and I still have a good friend and avid fisherman that lives in Camino near Nimbus dam. The SanLorenzo was my home river. I miss that lil river and her cold winter chill a ton, caught my first salmon and steelhead in that one as a teenager. I currently fish waters from the Klamath north throughout Oregon to some streams in Washington. Spend alot of time in Tillamook bay area and on 2 large rivers called the Sandy & Clackamas rivers here in the Portland area.

Thanks for a great California based board Bill :) :fish: