PDA

View Full Version : Question abut Saltwater Hooks (800S v. 200R v. ??)

Matt Frey
03-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the practical differences between using a TMC 800S or a TMC 200R. The 200R are much cheaper, but the 800S look like they would hold up to the elements better. I was wondering if there were any other considerations and how much a difference in durability there really is. Or are there other hook types even "better" to use.
Thanks in advance
Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
We have tons of different salt water hooks.

Some are solid stainless steel, some are nickel plated and some are cadmium plated.

They are all heavier wire than the TMC 200R.

You have to come in a look at them all in person to see the subtle dimensional differences.

Adam Grace
03-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Matt, how are you going to try to compare a salwater hook to a light wire trout hook?

Matt Frey
03-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys. I was looking through Fly Tyer magazine. Some article about saltwater fishing in So Cal. I noticed that some of the patterns were on a 200R and others were on a 800S. The thickness of the hook was obviously different. I was going to tie up some flies to go bother some perch. I know that Anne is using 2457's, which I thought were trout hooks, on one of her patterns. I was wondering if the 200R's could really hold up in the salt and I was a little confused .... so .... I decided to post and ask. Any other recommendations of hooks I can use?

SteelieD
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Totally different hooks as has been said. I use the 200R's on a salt water pattern, a reverse spider, for SRC fishing in the sound, but sorta consider them 'throw away' flies as they are sure to rust out pretty quickly. Oh, and never put 'em back in the box w/o a rinsing!

Darian
03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Matt,.... As the others have said, the 200R is a special purpose hook and probably wouldn't hold up in the surf, at all. Also, it seems to me that a light wire hook in the surf would be problematical as it might tend to rise in the hydraulics of the surf zone. A 2457 hook is a heavy wire and short shanked hook and is more usable for surf patterns. However, even a 2457 is subject to rusting out if not religiously rinsed/dryed when back at home. 8) 8) I believe the 800S model is made of Stainless Steel. It will last longer and much better suited for saltwater use. :) :)

Some of the patterns described by mrnoodlerod (BB member) use 2457 hooks and hi flies are very effective. You can access his personal website thru the link by his name under Memberlist, above. Good photo's and descriptions. :D :D

PaulC
03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey Matt,
Alot of the guys using those 200R hooks down here are chasing corbina, perch, smaller halibut, etc. They aren't a saltwater hook but will hold up well enough for a quick session of fishing for most species except bigger sharks, etc.
Some guys like the lighter gauge of the hook and they cost less than a Gami, etc.

I use Gami SL11s for all of my surf flies. They'll hold up well enough for a reuse if the bug is still intact after 20-30 perch and dragging in the sand for 3-4 hours. In hundred packs they're cheaper but a #6 still runs you around .27 a bug vs .14 a bug for #6 200Rs. The main reason I like the Gamis is they seem to be more tacky than other hooks without sharpening (Tiemco, Mustad, etc.).

For the most part, regardless of the hook, I don't find myself reusing a bug after a day worth of dragging it through the surf zone.
I also don't find myself switching out flies like trout, etc.
Alot of days are one bug days and it looks pretty damn bad after the day is done. Marabou tail amost or completely gone, etc.

-Paul

David Lee
03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Slightly related stuff here .....

When I did Baja in '05 , I noticed that the Gamakatsu hooks I used did NOT hold up worth squat in the surf - every single one went rusty in no time at all (I rinsed every night ....) . Thin tin plateing , I'm guessing ....

I'm headed back late this fall and I'm planning on using Mustad circles on most flies I'll be tyin' . It should at least help my Ladyfish hookup ratio .

David

Matt Frey
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys. I dont think I will be using the 200Rs for the salt.