PDA

View Full Version : Best Cheap Fly Reel

jhaquett
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Just wondering if you guys had an opinion on the best fly reel under $50. I am looking for a 7-9 wt reel strictly for the use of pond fishing for big bass. My favorites are the Okuma Integrity and Sierra, both of which (especially the Integrity) you can get very cheap on ebay. I also like the Ross Flycast and was thinking that the Flystart would be good. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

flygolf
03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
try the new Ross flystart. I personally think that the drag is better than the drag on the more expensive flycast.

Darian
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm a little prejudiced here but, IMHO, the Pfueger series of reels are cheap and very good for pond fishing. They come in a wide variety of sizes and you can get one with an adjustable drag (if that's what you'd like). I've been using a pfleuger, model 1495 1/2, since around 1968 for Salmon/Steelhead and all of the warmwater species. Aside from some signs of wear, the reel still peforms. 8) 8) 8)

On the other hand, there's you a reel to fit anyones pocket book or imagined need. Go to it.... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2007, 10:26 PM
The new Ross "Flystart" is only $45.00 and is now our top selling low end fly reel.

The last few years we sold tons of Orvis "Clearwater" reels for $39 but the Flystart just smoked it for 2007.

Come in a take a look at them in 4 sizes.

David Lee
03-27-2007, 06:12 AM
I'm a little prejudiced here but, IMHO, the Pfueger series of reels are cheap and very good for pond fishing. They come in a wide variety of sizes and you can get one with an adjustable drag (if that's what you'd like). I've been using a pfleuger, model 1495 1/2, since around 1968 for Salmon/Steelhead and all of the warmwater species. Aside from some signs of wear, the reel still peforms. 8) 8) 8)

On the other hand, there's you a reel to fit anyones pocket book or imagined need. Go to it.... 8) 8) 8) 8)

I've a 1495 that dates to the early 60's , given to me by Pat Sandlin .

I wouldn't bother trying to count the fish it has taken down . You can find old ones on Ebay .

You don't need anything else .

David :nod:

Adam Grace
03-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I vote for the inexpensive Ross "flystart" reel. Ross is a great company.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2007, 08:33 AM
I started selling the Pflueger 'Medalist' fly reels sense 1965 and I think they are a wonderful fly reel. I am very romantically attached to them myself.

About 25 years ago I landed some of my first Tarpon in Venezuela on an old 1495 1/2.

I also landed a bunch of Bonefish, Stripers, Shad and Steelhead on that reel.

It is a really old one with 6 rivets on the spool, all metal parts and a round metal line guard.

I would buy a used one on eBay that was made in the USA rather than a new one made in China or Taiwan.

The best ones have 6 rivets on the spool rather than 3. That is an older generation.

I use to carry special replacement drag disks and counter balances for Medalist when we really used them a lot up till about 10 years ago?

http://www.onepfoot.com/images/A2chrome2006.jpg

jhaquett
03-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I think I'll cancel my post on selling my $100 Cabelas gift card and use it to buy a flystart and some line! Thanks for all of the input guys.

flyfshrmn
03-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I've used a lot of inexpensive reels, mostly 'cause until recently that's all I could afford. Once the kids college education was paid for, I've moved up slightly. I think the Scientific Anglers Concept reels are excellent for the money, reasonably light, decent drag and high spool capacity. I've used the Medalists, and also the small Martins and they are also fine. The downfall of most inexpensive reels is line capacity. Few of them have large enough spools for backing and a 30m weight forward line.

Chuck Hintlian
03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
I am also a fan of Medalist reels. I have used them for years. I bought some extra spools from Cabela's. They were made in China and wouldn't fit my American made Medalists. After sending a couple back, I just decided to tweak them a little and they worked just fine.

A couple years ago, in a fit of consumptive insanity, I bought an expensive reel from England. I don't remember the name, but I think it's machined from a single block of some space age alloy. I haven't used it yet. I get it out and look at it once in a while. It's really pretty.

My very favorite reel is a Bronson Multi-Royal that I bought in 1954 for probably around $15. It was one of the few fly reels of that time that had a geared 2:1 retrieve. It's heavy compared to recent reels, but I love the sound it makes, and when I use it I am magically transported back 50 years to a time that is rapidly disappearing from my memory.

I know this probably sounds like the ranting of a semi-senile old geezer, but catching fish was never the prime reason I fished. Fishing always put me in a different reality where I could experience my environment in a way I couldn't in my "normal life". Catching fish was just a bonus.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi Chuck

I like you a lot already. I think we have much in common.

I think many of these really old fly reels where made to last forever buy really cool old people.

Fly fishing celebrity Chico Fernandez loves to fish with really old simple reels too.

At 62 fishing is really not about catching fish for me either.

I just like getting out somewhere with water and a friend and do some BSing and fly casting.

I guess it's all about nostalgia now days?

flyfshrmn
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Perhaps I haven't evolved enough to appreciate fishing without catching, but I'm a little more philosophical about going ofer these days, even when it involves getting cold while not catching steelhead. On the subject of simple and inexpensive reels, I don't really notice much about the reel when I'm fishing, even when playing a large fish. All my reels, including the more expensive ones, do an adequate job of handling the fish. We'll have to see how that goes when/if I start catching more and hopefully larger steelhead.
Hope springs eternal.

David Lee
03-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I know this probably sounds like the ranting of a semi-senile old geezer, but catching fish was never the prime reason I fished. Fishing always put me in a different reality where I could experience my environment in a way I couldn't in my "normal life".

Nope , you don't sound strange in the least .

To ME , fishing IS being in the REAL WORLD -

No phones , no traffic , no 'fellow' man judging the cut of my clothes , no bullshit . Fish don't care what rod I fish , where I live , or how much $$$$ I make .

Being in the bush puts everything in proper perspective .

David

SteelieD
03-29-2007, 08:29 PM
To ME , fishing IS being in the REAL WORLD -

No phones , no traffic , no 'fellow' man judging the cut of my clothes , no bullshit . Fish don't care what rod I fish , where I live , or how much $$$$ I make .

Being in the bush puts everything in proper perspective .

=D> =D> =D> =D>

I still like the fancy reels though! :wink:

East Bay Ed
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm old enough to remember when outdoor writers used to describe fly reels as something to hold line with and not worth a major expense. Come to think of it I remember when fishermen looked the part, now many look like models who stepped out of the pages of an Orvis catalog.
Hope they catch fish.

Oh well back to the topic. Being frugal and trying to keep expenses down I've found two reels I like.

The Pflueger Medalist Pro 1790, can be found on some websites for under $40, holds up to #10 plus 100 yars of backing. Wonderful reel for the price.

I've also been a fan of Abu Garcia fly reels for years. The problem is you rarely see them in the U.S. I believe they are sold primarily in Europe. Occassionally you will see them advertised on some U.S. web site. I've fished two sizes of the Abu Garcia Fly Max for years until recently losing the larger one in a parking lot off Sunrise on the American.

About two months ago I saw the Abu Garcia Diplomat 5/6 advertised on a web site for $28 plus $6 shipping. I ordered one and liked it so much I ordered two more. Suitable for up to size 7, it is a medium arbor reel with drag.

You can't go wrong with either for the price.

Darian
03-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey Ed,.... Good for you. I'm old enough to recall the same things you do about fly reels. 8) 8) 8)

Michael Baker
04-06-2007, 08:14 AM
I've got a couple of the made in china Medalists and they work fine. Just picked up an old Sal Trout and a 1495 USA made. There in great shape! The Sal Trout has an old braided line on it. Came in the original box with a price tag of $6.50 and marked down to $3.50. These reels will be fished, Got a couple of Boo rods I'm rebuilding. Enough of the tangent, some guys I know have been raving about the new Okuma SLV's. Have not tried them myself. Tight lines

Mike