PDA

View Full Version : Which Californian will claim Bill King?

OregonSalmon
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Guys,
Help me out on this one. That damn Bill King has sent up tent in my town and each morning he demands flies. Each evening he blames my flies on the lack of his success!!! I'd go upside his head with my clam shovel but I think he is going on dog years to rate his age and taking out anger on someone of that pungent ilk looks bad from a moral stance and especially to the judge. I must take the pain. He is like gout who demands flies.

O.K.....I'm lyin'....I love the guy. Nothing will be better than his return in the fall and getting to introduce Bill King while king fishing. Since I can do nothing with a straight face I believe someone is going to go upside my head. May even get a bullhorn and announce as we row up the tidewater "Ladies and Gentlemen....BILL KING!!! I was always due an asswhippin' on that river anyhoo.

-"sometimes 'nothin is a real cool hand".....Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke"

Darian
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Hmmmm,.... Is this the guy you were refering to about borrowing flies and stealin' your Clams :?: :?:

You sure Bill King is his real name :?: :?: It may be a very clever speudonym. :? :? Wasn't Bill King the long time announcer for the Warriors (SF Basketball team) :?: :?: I understood he passed away sometime ago. :? :?

Listen Galen, just cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you..... :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Lee
03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Mr. King held the record for Stripe out of the Feather years back .

30-something lbs. ?? We had a chat once .

David :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2007, 11:32 PM
We were all wading at the mouth of the Feather River in the late 1970s when I had the Fly Hutch at Fulton and El Camino next to Walt's Restaurant.

Bill King drove up one day right in front of the shop with his VW bug. He came in talking of this giant Striper he had just caught at the mouth of the Feather.

He actually had it in the trunk (front) on his Beetle.

I believe it was 32#.

A few years before (1970?) my friends Al Perryman and Cal Guin had hit the Stripers good one morning at the mouth of the Feather and brought some into West Capitol Rod & Gun where I was working at the time.

Harry Boley caught a 55# Striper trolling in the San Joaquin River down in the Delta back then that we had on ice right in the bait shop. It was a monster.

I took a picture of them with a 40# plus fish hanging on the big scale out front and then a 26# and maybe a 22# that they held up. I keep looking for that photo.

A few years after Bill King caught his 32# fish, Ron Hayashi caught a 44# Striper at the mouth of the Feather out of his pram while fishing for Shad with 8# test.

Remember all this was back when catch and release was not even thought of yet.

Everything that happened in fly fishing for the past 42 years was witnessed by yours truly here in Sacramento, CA.

We can probably wade at the mouth of the Feather River this May/June for Stripers and Shad.

OregonSalmon
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Darian,
I haven't thought of the best announcer ever for basketball (the Warriors) or Da' Raiders in years, the late great Bill King. I idolized that guy as a kid. He had the goatee and the long mustache before it was in style and looked a might satanic and he had a hilarious story of an elderly woman beating him with a cane in New Orleans because she thought he was the devil. Best sports announcer ever.