PDA

View Full Version : Ahjumawi Lake State Park near Fall River- any info please!

JayDubP
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Saw this on TV and looks real interesting.

Its where 4 rivers/creeks come together just north of Fall River Mills. (Fall River, Tule River, Ja-She Creek, Lava Creek) into Big Lake. A boat-in or long hike-in only state park, only 2000 people a year visit it.

Its has springs on the lake bottom. Some theories are they are from underground streams sourced in Klamath Lake.

QUESTIONS:

appreciate any input from anyone who has been there.
1) Which campground is best- have GPS infor for all campgrounds so I can find them.
2) Fly fishing-- sounded like to fish the springs?
3) Mosquito problem- on review said its worst in US- the truth?
4) Best month to go
5) Anything else.

Terry Thomas
03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Have fished it, but not camped there. Find the springs and the fish are in the area. The water is crystal clear so steal is the program. Standard stillwater patterns. I would go early in the season. After the first of July is pretty hot in most years. Don't leave anything of value in the car. This is a pretty remote area without much patrol. I guess April and May would be my choices of months. It is a beautiful area in the Spring and Fall. Don't forget the "bug juice." I still think the lower Williamson has it beat for the skeeters...just my 2 cents.

Terry Thomas
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry, make that "stealth" and not "steal." Must have been thinking about the parking.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Fank Bertania wrote an article on the area a few years back.

Maybe in the Cal Fly Fisher magazine?

http://www.calflyfisher.com/

Dug
03-26-2007, 12:56 AM
I've done that trip once before in the fall, just as duck hunting season was getting started. Wouldn't recommend it that time of year. Was still a good experience, but could have done without the numerous motor boats and shot gun blasts. Bugs were OK, though. Put in was near the fairgrounds in McArthur and I think I pulled in at the second set of primitive sites while paddling into the main part of Big Lake - which were fine and dandy.

Marshal
04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I used to stay at a summer house on Eastman Lake near Lava Creek and Big Lake. We would take a boat over to Big lake and to the springs you refer to. Like was said, the water is gin clear and difficult to fish. I would use a wooly bugger and be very very stealthy!
Access is your bigger problem. By car you park near Eastman Lake and walk through a state park near an Indian burial ground. Access by boat is a lot easier and you could bring in your camping stuff and food. Yes, mosquitos are a problem there, esp. in the evening on a hot day! Cover up with long shirts and pants, etc., and use bug juice if needed (I don't like to).
The nearest camping, I believe, is closer to Burney - Burney Falls State Park. There is also a PG&E campground along Lake Britton off of H. 89 (used to be) not far from Burney Falls State Park.
If you are car camping without a boat, i would suggest fishing Baum Lake in the early season with a float tube. You can also fish Hat Creek and the Pit and Castle Lake (even from shore). There is another PG&E campground (small) near Castle Lake, i believe. Finally, you can rough camp (could) along the Pit River both above and below Lake Britton near PG&E property.