PDA

View Full Version : Which is best pontoon boat for N Calif rivers?

JayDubP
03-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I have been looking at online sites on various pontoon boats. Huge price difference between "top of line" Dave Scadden and Skookum steelheader and Water Skeeter models.

I like the fact that on the two more expensive models you can stand up and fish. I think that is most significant difference, and almost a must for fly fisherman. BUT, is fishing from a pontoon boat while standing a reality other than river like the lower Sacto and lakes? I do not foresee using a motor.

Is there a store in N Calif that sells more than 1 brand? If so, what and where. And any store that allows a test drive on the water?

I want to use on the Lower Sacto, maybe Upper Sacto, and the American. and ??? Not any class 4 rapids, and will probably line it through most class 3.

Any input or experience you have had will be appreciatied. I am just starting and am pretty overwhelmed with the wide range of options here.

Ed Wahl
03-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Start shopping for a pram. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Scadden, Bucks and Outcast are the best quality.

Chris Gearhart
03-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I have owned my Scadden boat for several years. I have the older model Big Horn Drifter so I have a different standing deck and leaning bar than the newer models. I really dont like the new ones, I agree with one of the previous respones about being flimsy and akward. However I like everything about mine. Scadden is one of the few to use a bladderless system. This cuts the wight almost in half compared to others. I also like the fact that I can call Dave Scadden at the Utah factory and talk to him or some else that really knows what they are talking about. I have also recieved excellent service from them. Y ou gotta love a lifetime warranty!!I do agree that a pontoon is not a drift boat. I own a drift boat as well. They both have thier place but given the choice I would take my drift boat every time. Pontoons are a great way to learn if you are new to rowing a boat in moving water.

Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2007, 01:12 PM
8' for people under 200# - considered a small boat now

9' for over 200# anglers and bigger water - average size now

10' for carrying more gear, cooler, overnight camping, taking the dog - big but safe and comfortable on big water.

You will fine that Outcast dominates the industry with quality boat.

Darian
03-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Does the Scadden boat have divided air compartments or does bladderless mean that the air compartment is open and undivided :?: :?: :?: If the latter, seems to me, that's a major safety consideration. A divided air compartment would provide some flotation even one of the compartments was punctured. 8) 8) 8)

Chris Gearhart
03-25-2007, 05:36 PM
The pontoons on the Scadden are definitely divided. I looked at the Outcast for along time. When I wieghed feature for feature and then looked at the price difference I had to go Scadden. I will give one more piece of advice, buy it at the Sportsman Expo. I saved about $800 and had a bunch of extras included. Just my opinion.

Chris

Randy B
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I've had a Skookum Steelheader and it is an amazing pontoon...don't know if it is fair to compare it to the Outcast, Scadden, etc. They are truly whitewater quality pontoons. Also try Googling, I think it is NRS, which is a whitewater rafting supplier, and you can buy the individual pieces (frames, pontoons, stands, etc) and should be able build one to your own specs that is as strong as a Skookum boat.

Just my two cents.