PDA

View Full Version : bass on small flies

Mike Churchill
03-24-2007, 07:06 PM
After catching a few bass (and one big bluegill) at the joint CFFU / Delta Flyfishers outing to Rancho Seco last week, I took my two youngest daughters out there this morning to try and get them their first fish on a fly.

Spent a couple of hours casually tossing flies from the shore (mostly just me casting while the kids ran around on the grass between sessions of watching the bass on their beds).

Landed two small largemouths around 12" to 13."

I hooked 'em, and the girls each landed one. On my new 3-weight, that was fun. (Thanks to Joe Shirshac (sp?) at Kiene's for assisting me when I bought it a few weeks ago.)

Interestingly, both hit a size 12 hare's ear soft hackle I was using to prospect (unsuccessfully) for bluegill.

Last week, I hooked several (up to 15"" or so) on a size 10 black woolly bugger. I was using the 5-weight last week. For the little guys, the 3 is definitely more fun.

So anyway, now I'm wondering what the biggest bass is that anyone has taken on a nymph or other small fly. Any stories?
:evil:

David Lee
03-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I've taked several to over 4 lbs. while fishing a #10 Olive Birdnest for Sunfish .

Also ..... broken off twice (on 3X) by Bass that never stopped . Like being stuck to a bowling ball rolling down a hill .

David :D

JT
03-24-2007, 10:32 PM
I hooked a 16" largemouth bass once on a #18 micromay while fishing for bluegill. He easily shook the hook, though.

k.hanley
03-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Say Hey Mike,
I get them on damsel and dragonfly nymphs all the time. Biggest LM bass was 6 pounds on #10 damselfly nymph.
Cheers, Ken