PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sonoma and my first kayak trip

kokaneejr
03-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Broke in the new Dragonfly inflatable today at Lake Sonoma. The boat performed beautifully as I tried to learn the ins and outs of fishing from it. I strayed from flyfishing as learning to paddle and flycasting were to much to handle today. Fishing was slow and even the pro bass guys only managed a few. I broke in the boat with a nice fish to end the day on a plastic worm. Next time the flyrod comes out!!

By the way Hairstacker I am posting a photo of this fish because I always wondered how you were taking such interesting photos of your catches. As you can see I couldn't get the horizon straight and barely included the Kayak. Guess I need more research...Craig :D

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/kokaneejr/ls001.jpg

Hairstacker
03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
All right Craig, glad to see you made it out there! Yeah, those inflatable kayaks are REALLY good for spin fishing, aren't they?

As far as taking pictures, I pretty much focus on two things: The horizon in the background is horizontal and the fish is in the picture -- for me, anything more is luck, ha. :lol: Oh, and I also pay attention to make sure I don't include an obvious landmark that gives away my location. :D

Mr. Noodle Rod
03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey Craig,

Nice fish photo. If you actually take the earth's tilt & the lake's latitude into account, the horizon in the picture looks about right! :D :wink:

Mark

Rickey Noel Mitchell
03-29-2007, 05:23 AM
Congrats Craig, on your first paddle and cast adventure.
Mike and Craig, I'm curious...what are you doing as for as rod holders on your inflatables?

Hairstacker
03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Rickey! Rod holder? What is that? :lol:

I'm either holding the rod by the hand, holding it between my thighs so it sticks straight up in the air, or laying it across the kayak. I should probably devise something but just haven't given it much though. Unfortunately, you can't just drill holes into it to mount something. :shock: :lol:

Rickey Noel Mitchell
03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Most Inflatables will take the Scotty float tube rod holder setup.

kokaneejr
03-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey guys just thought I would pipe in here. Hairstackers got it right as far as I know as I have only fished twice now. I generally put my rod in the paddle holder on the kayak when traveling long distances and in my lap when adjusting my spot. So far its paddle across my lap and fishing and casting from there. Just got a small anchor as wind is a real issue with mine. Here is a pic in case people haven't seen a Dragonfly before. So far two outings and two nice fish, and a hole lot of fun....Craig.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/kokaneejr/ls2007.jpg

p.s. photo from my first trip as I am Flyaking it from now on.