PDA

View Full Version : Point Reyes Report 3-22-07 and 3-23-07

Anne Vitale
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
:( :( :( :( Fished four hours yesterday for two small BSP and nada for 3 hours this afternoon. :( :( :( ](*,) . I think I am going to have to find me another beach. Drake's has become almost featureless in the last couple of weeks. No rips...no nervous wave action. When I combine the slow fishing I had over the last two days with the slow fishing I had there last week, I am beginning to believe it may only be a winter fishery.....Anne

Mr. Noodle Rod
03-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Shake it off, Anne. It was probably just a temporary setback. Those fish love to play hide-n-seek in the surf throughout the year. After a while, you'll figure out where all their hang-outs are located & they won't be able to hide from you anymore. :wink:

- Mark

Hairstacker
03-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Hang in there Anne! They're just thowing you a curve ball. :)

k.hanley
03-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Say Hey Annie,
Keep in mind all the beaches begin to flatten in profile from now through early autumn. It's the natural cycle of the shoreline. Some beaches that started out pretty flat in the winter will be "featurless" for the rest of the summer season. That isn't saying your beach "is cooked and done"... but it is a heads-up that the area probably won't change dramatically for some time now.

The beaches that had a steeper profile during winter, will offer a variety of sturcture well into the summer months. These beaches will offer better holding water for striper, perch, and prey populations.

Keep scouting locations. Stay safe out there.
Cheers, Ken

Anne Vitale
03-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Mike...Mark and Kenny....Thanks for the pep talk. You guys are great :D . I took the day off yesterday. Yard work in the morning, taxes in the afternoon and a whole lot of e-mail messages that were waiting to be addressed. But today (Sunday) is another day. I'll probably go back out to my old familiar waters again today but fish it mostly at the top of the high and the first part of the outgoing.

Kenny... I reread your article "Prime Time Beaches" on flyfishnorcal.org and decided I do indeed need to look around for steeper beaches now that the flatter ones are becoming even flatter. I just didn't expect it to be happening so early in the year. The tides will be out during the prime hours of the day this coming week. That should be a good time to keep the gear home and just go looking. Staying save is something I think about a lot so that will be weighing in on where I decide to fish. If the surf looks like it is more of a death wish [-X then fun in the suds \:D/ , there is always Ann Murphy's bass pond. Thanks again guys....Anne