PDA

View Full Version : Updated Crank Baits

Jay Murakoshi
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Here's the latest updated hairy crank bait flies. These are called Super Sized. The hook size is the same 3/0. But two different manufactures. One is Gamakatsu and the other is Dai Ichi. Super Sized is tied on the Dai Ichi.
You can cast the smaller (original) one with a 7 wt rod but the SS well, let's just say "Ouch". I have two big welts on my back from getting smacked at full speed. The windy conditions didn't help. I was throwing an 8 wt with a 9 wt line. Looks like I'll be using a 10 wt line and a flak vest. The fly itself is the same size as a regular conventional crank bait.
It also contains 3 - #4 shot glued into the head. The diving bill is 3/4" wide instead of 1/2".

I hope to have these in a few shops in the upcoming months. If the weather cooperates, I might try these at Los Banos Creek in the morning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/Supersize1.jpg
Full View

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/SuperSize2.jpg
Top Angle View

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/supersize3.jpg
Size Comparison

Jay

Hairstacker
03-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Outstanding deer hair work Jay! Love the colors and the way you put them together on that Super Sized one. Doing good color work has always been a challenge for me, but I see you've got it down. 8) 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
03-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Mike,

Thanks Mike for the comment.
I've been practicing on stacking 4 to 5 colors horizontally. It can be done vertically but the other direction is a challenge.
Hey, I love watching Steve Potter create his bugs. His is fly is a work of art. I have a couple on the shelf and not to be used for fishing.

Right now, I'm working on a 6/0 rattle trap fly right now. this thing is going to be a bugger to cast. Looks like the length might be just short of 4".

Jay

Darian
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey Jay,.... Those're some BIG crankers!!!!! I'm with Mike. Your hair stacking and color blending skills are really high level. 8) 8) 8)

As you've already touched on, you might need to wear a kevlar helmet/vest to protect yourself when casting. :lol: :lol: I'm curious about picking the fly up off the water for the next cast. :? :? You must be retrieving close to the end of the rod to avoid splashy pick-ups.... 8) 8) 8)

Steve Potter
03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Jay-

Thanks for the kind words. Your abilities with deer hair are outstanding. The details and color selection are amazing. The pictures speak louder than my words.
Enough of this I have flies to tie.

Steve

Jay Murakoshi
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
The monster fly did it's thing today. I'll post a report later. But here's a slim report. I have another welt of the back from the Super Sizer. I was thowing it with a 9wt rod 10wt. Outbound Tropical Floater. I finally got the hang of casting this monster. But one time, I let out about 80' of line used the trolling motor to lay out the line. When the line came tight, I shut down the trolling motor and started stripping the line back. I would have to say it was probably down 2 1/2' then BANG !! A grab and about a 3lb LMB on the other end

More on the day to follow

Jay

jhaquett
03-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Wow that is some impressive fly tying :shock:

mako
03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Jay,that is one fantastic looking fly =D>
I am sure the Bass and heaps of other fishy types down here would snavell those up quick smart.