PDA

View Full Version : baitfish patterns

Loren E
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
i've been working on some baitfish patterns lately, in some different colors with heavy mono weed gaurds. These arn't patterns i have any experience tying with, and i havn't tied with weed guards before, so any helpful suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. I've just been trying to model them after the enrico puglisi flies. They are for a trip to the everglades in april, but i think that this style of fly in different sizes and colors could work well for just about any situation when an unweighted baitfish is the ticket.
-Loren

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p295/lorenelliott/gladesfliespluscalvin021.jpg

Hairstacker
03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I think they look GREAT!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Good looking flies and great photo Loren

I'm sure many of us here will volunteer to test drive some of them for you.

Darian
03-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Loren,.... Good looking patterns and a good idea to try different colors. I'm curious about the choice to use a heavy mono weed guard on an unweighted pattern :?: :?: I understand the need for weed guards when fishing in the mangroves but not elsewhere.... Unweighted patterns might be better fished near the surface, on an intermediate line, expecially in the saltchuck. 8) 8)

Difficult to get a perspective on how large the flies are, It looks like you're tying on Owner or Gammie saltwater hooks, so, I'm assumming they're large (1/0 - 3/0) sizes. Good potential, tho. :) :) :) The bottom fly caught my eye. :D :D

dtp916
03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
I think they're pimpin' and you'll be rippin lips with 'em! 8)

Loren E
03-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Darian, sry i didnt clarify, for other situations when fishing in open water i would probably leave out the weedgaurd. They're actually on size 2 hooks, but as you can see they (umpqua/tiemco) have a lot of meat for a size 2.