PDA

View Full Version : dunked digital camera

jbird
03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
For those who read my "totally awesome adventure" story about klammath lake, I have an update on the dunked camera.

The camera seems to be fine...with one exception. The flash doesnt work. It is a sony cybershot, point and shoot type deal so the flash is totally enveloped in the camera housing.

I tried taking the camera apart. I removed the 8 microscopic screws and had the camera pretty well apart. But I was going to have to dig too deep to access any flash mechanism or bulb, so I put it back together.

Anyone with any thoughts on this ?

jay

Darian
03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi Jay,.... I'm no expert on this but maybe use a hair (blow) dryer after dissasembling the camera again :? :? :?: :?:

WinterrunRon
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
You mean other than suggesting all future pictures be taken in bright sunlight?

All kidding aside, Jay, I've dunked a few, dried them out really good with the defroster, and ended up having a few features just not come back.

I think your best option is to send it in to have it repaired by Sony. I send my Canon back to their repair facility and it's Fed Ex'ed back to me as new at minimal cost.

Good luck with it.

Ron

jbird
03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Ron

I wish Sony was that simple to deal with.

I just got off the phone with them and it will cost me $181 minimum charge!:shock: and a 90 day turnaround. I have been through this with sony before. I remember the fee being outragious, thus my reluctance to call them.
It looks like bright daylight photography is the verdict for this camera :roll: :(

Anyone in the market to sell a Optio WP?

Jay

WinterrunRon
03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Wow, Jay, that's ridiculous.

I don't, and wouldn't, own any other manufacture's photographic product other than Canon.

I love doing business with great companies and don't mind putting in a good word for them when presented with the opportunity: USAA Insurance, America's Tire Company, G Loomis, Shimano, Canon USA...

Canon treats you the same whether your repair is on a $2,500 lens or a $150 point and shoot.

When repair is needed, send it in, they email you a breakdown of the repair and cost, usually within a day or receiving it, wait for your approval, complete the repair and Fed Ex your equipment back to you. Most of the time it's back to me in a week.

More than once, they completed the repair under warranty, even though the damage caused wasn't covered under warranty. I've never paid more than $110 and that was to completely rebuild an expensive lens I dropped.

Do yourself a favor and consider making your next camera a Canon.

Ron

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2007, 10:00 AM
I am a Canon fan myself.

I wish they made a small waterproof camera.

Flycanoe
03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Here's a little story for how you can solve your problem.

Last Jan, I lost my small handheld camera while fishing the Yuba river. It was a stupid mistake and I was really bummed afterward because I really liked that camera. And I didn't want to buy a new one for $300+, especially with the very likely chance I might damage it while fishing.

As it turns out, that camera model was only about 2+ years old, but in the fast paced camera market, was already replaced with new models. As a result, I found tons of used ones of the same model that I liked on ebay for 1/4 to 1/3 of what I payed for a new one, and many were lightly used.

So that's what I did, I bought my replacement on ebay for 30% of a new one. Now my fishing camera is a used camera and takes the same great pictures, and if it gets damaged, I will do the same thing again.

JT
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Canon does make a small waterproof camera. It is the Canon ELPH Sport. It is not digital, though. However, they do make waterproof cases for their digital cameras.

WinterrunRon
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Flyconoe... I concure.

I did the same thing. If you're willing to own last year's model, you can buy them for a fraction of their original price. Mine was actually stolen while on vacation last year with my family in Yellowstone and I bought it again, used on eBay, for $100 less than I paid the previous year.

And one last tip for those interested.

Photography has been a hobby of mine since 1980, and I see no reason to purchase a camera capable of over 5 megapixels, unless you plan on blowing up the photo and printing larger than 8"x10". In fact, most of my fishing pics are at a manual setting less than the maximum 5 megapixels.

Why? Less disk space taken up on the hard drive, faster transfer rates when uploading and backing up to CD or DVD, more room on the SD card for short videos and hundreds more pictures so you only need one 1 gig card ($30 or less) per week long fishing trip!

Ron