PDA

View Full Version : Drift Boat Wanted

WinterrunRon
03-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm looking for a standard sized drift boat to buy. No bells and whistles, just a solid performing, well constructed boat. Love the idea of it being fully rigged with oars, anchor etc., but not necessary.

Ron

Tony Buzolich
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Ron,

There was a Valco driftboat parked just around the corner from me yesterday. Looked real basic with trailer for only a $1000.

Let me know and I'll see if I can get the phone number for you.

TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Ron

You need to be very patient.

I have seen old aluminum drift boats on trailers for $2500-$3000 at times.

Oregon might be a better place to find one.

Now use ones have been going for about $5000.

A new one is $8000 or even more.

Randy B
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
You can find them in lots of places. Try Craigslist, the FishSniffer classifieds, the Sacto Bee classifieds, and even the boat manufacturer's have used boats on their websites to name a few.

bigtj
03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Another good place is Clackacraft's and Hyde's used boats on their respective websites. They both offer used, reconditioned boats that are like new for used prices i.e. $5500-6500. Bill is right, Oregon or washington city craigslists are a good way to go. At any rate you might have to do some driving to get a really good deal. As far as a fully outfitted boat, used is almost always going to be outfitted.

WinterrunRon
03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks, gents, for all your input and advice.

I'm committed to finding one. I have a twelve year old son and we love to fish together, but during winter months, I have him limited to stiper fishing the delta from our bass boat and keep him away from the steelhead environment. I find the wading aspect a bit too dangerous and troublesome for him. Hooks flying, trees behind, slippery rocks underfoot, cold and swift water. Can't risk injury during Little League season!

But I can't stand him missing out on my passion and have decided a drift boat is the answer.

From what I've gathered, I should be able to locate a used, standard sized one, fully rigged for about $2,000 give or take?

I'm checking your suggestions you've offered, but I'd appreciate you keeping an eye out for me.

Tony, definitely let me know the contact info on the boat you came across.

Thanks all,

Ron

sculpin
03-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Ron
Once in a while an aluminum drifter shows up here in the Medford area for around the price your wanting to pay for one. They do go pretty quick now that the prices of new drifters have got so high . I'll keep my ears open for one around here if you think you would want to drive 5hrs north. Here are a couple of links to watch around here.

Mark
http://www.medfordnickel.com/classifieds/XcClassified.asp

http://www.mailtribune.com/

http://medford.craigslist.org/

andanb
03-21-2007, 04:18 PM
I have been considering selling mine to get a different kind of boat. I haven't thought enough about price...it is a Hyde 16 ft high sider with anchor oars etc. In good shape some scratched paint and dents but good shape. I have a 4 hp motor that can go with it or not. I'm planning one more trip with it the first part of April. If this sounds interesting to you let me know.

PS I'm the crazy guy who fly fishes in the delta from the drift boat...I don't know but I may have seen you out there.

bigtj
03-21-2007, 05:07 PM
$2,000 is definitely on the lower end for used drift boats. But no reason you can't find one for that. You get a lot more if you're willing to go say $4,000 but if the budget isn't there, it isn't there. Just be careful, don't get something that will need a lot of repair, try to find an older, high-quality model that someobody just wants to get rid of.

Good luck to you. Be sure to save some $$ for some brand new PFD's and emergency equipment like a rescue knife and tow rope.

WinterrunRon
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
andanb,

Definitely interested. Let's talk about it.

Mark,

Thanks for the links, buddy. I'm always looking for a reason to drive 5 hours north! Appreciate you keeping an eye out. In talking to others today, I think a 16ft high side would be ideal. Preferably in fiberglass, but I won't be too picky about my first drifter. Aluminum may work out if it's the right boat at a fair and reasonable price.

bijtj,

I hear you, great advice. Thanks.

Ron

Randy B
03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Ron,

...also check the Redding Craigslist at http://redding.craigslist.org/...you may even get a float trip out of the deal.

Randy

WinterrunRon
03-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Randy B.!

slimfishin's
03-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Ron,
I ended up having to go to Oregon, but it was worth it. I would suggest trying the various craiglist listing, but you also should look at various online newspapers and nickel adds. Honestly, I think you may have trouble finding a decent boat for 2000. $3500 would be a bit more realistic. I was recently trying to help a friend find a used boat - and he ended up buying a new one because all the used ones were priced too high. But - I would keep looking. Just keep looking and be prepared to jump on one.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/297040925.html

http://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/295366382.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/classifieds/recreationalvehicles/index.ssf/content.ata?session=&aff=olive&coll=7&major=22&paper=all_sources&x=68&y=15

WinterrunRon
03-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Slimfishin's

Thanks, buddy! I appreciate you taking the time to post the links.

I'm not limited to $2,000. This was the price someone else suggested I should pay. I think you're right about that being low. In my limited reasearch so far, I'm expecting to pay $3000-$4,000 for a good quality 16ft high-side boat.

I'm finding I could buy a 1990's built boat from a few of the boat companies in their used trade in inventory and pay $3995-$4,995. They include everything that's needed and warrant the boat as well. So it seems to be $$2995-$3995 is reasonable from a private party.

I think, based upon what I've learned so far and given the choice, I'd prefer a fiberglass boat, but I'm not going to be overly picky if a nice aluminum comes along for a fair price.

Thanks, again for your help,

Ron

Randy B
03-31-2007, 09:50 PM
If you're still looking for a used drift boat there is one on the Sacto Craigslist in the price range you mentioned. Here is the info, sorry I didn't get the link.

16 FT Fish Rite Drift Boat, 54 LB Thrust Electric Trolling Motor, On Board Battery Charger, Two Swivel Seats, Three Rod Holders, Life Jackets, Oars, Anchor and Rope, 1979 Fish Rite Drift Boat and Trailer with Current Registration. $2500 or Best Offer Email: b_c_tienken@surewest.net or Call (916) 729-4282

WinterrunRon
03-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Randy B. I've sent an email and I'll call in the morning!

Ron

AndreD
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Ron

If your still looking, try taking a look over at ifesh.net. There are always difters listed for sale there. I look everyday looking my a new boat (not a drifter though). Usually they are listings from the rotland area, but not always.

Andre

WinterrunRon
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Andre.