PDA

View Full Version : Success!

SuperFlyGuy
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Finally.. I was able to catch some trout in still water..... This marks a staple in fly fishing for me, because I learned out on the american, but never knew how to fish lakes. Its a whole different ball game i'm learning....

Was out at San Pa8lo Saturday and got skunked. :twisted: :twisted: In an effort to redeem myself the next morning, I went out for a few hours to a small neighborhood pond to "practice" casting. Wanted to try out my chironomid patterns I tied the previous night. Saw a couple of conventional guys pulling a trout on spinners.. I thought, what the hell, I'll put on some streamers. Put on an olive woolybugger with a bird's nest tailer. WHAM! on the 5th cast knocked into a nice 18 inch bow that fought and jumped for me several times. When the wind died down and ripples calmed out, I could actually sight fish to these fish. There were schools of trout everywhere slamming my wollybugger to peices. Apparently they just recently stocked this for some derbies, but I guess they were hungry because they were hitting hard. It seems these fish never seem a wooly bugger before, because I was the only one catching loads of fish! Finally, I outfished the bait guys!

Covered lots of water and had to do some real creative casting as there was no room for back casting. Got over 15 hook ups, and about 9 landed, and a handful of LDR's in about 3 hours of fishing. The biggest must have been about 22 inches as he snapped my 6x tippet (big mistake) on the first hit, and jumped completely out of the water with the bugger still in his lips. Hopefully he will manage to shake that free. Now keep in mind folks this is a "warm water" pond, but these trout were rediculous... I was giddy all day just casting to the same spots and hooking up again and again, and again....
You could wet wade in this pond all day without getting cold. I don't understand how trout could tolerate the temperature but there were all on the surface??? I wish I had pictures to post, but I just didn't thin I would catch anything... Thanks to the friendly staff at Kiene's namely andy and jim who always gave great advice, I was finally able to fish my fly rod with success! Thanks guys.

dtp916
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Hmmm, you're going to have to send me a PM on this place! I used to fish this little pond back when I was attending a boarding school. There were about 10-15 nice browns that inhabited the pond, as well as a large population of stunted bass, 4 huge catfish, and one lunker bass that none of us was able to catch. That's where I learned to catch stillwater trout! Unfortunetly an otter came and ate most of the fish :(

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Congratulations SFG,

They plant lots of these low elevation reservoirs with trout all winter and now with a little warming they are hungry and feeding.

Soon it will be too warm and it will be over. Go now.............

I heard Rancho Seco Lake was very good now too.