PDA

View Full Version : Chatham, Chatham, Chatham!!!!!!!

Darian
03-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Just finished reading the article in the April issue of California Fly Fisherman by Russell Chatham (my favorite fishing writer). :) :) As usual, Chatham says it like he sees it without pulling any punches and challenges the reader to action.... 8) 8) 8) Without giving a legthy review, so as not to pollute the potential pool of readers, I'd like to hear what others think of the subject of this article. :) :)

Without doubt, this issue is gonna be preserved along with all of Chathams books in my personal library. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-17-2007, 12:55 AM
That first picture in the article is old Bill Carry or 'Goomba' as Walt Bennett called him.

He was one of the top north coast Steelheaders.

He was in my fly shop the week before he passed away, maybe 10 years ago?

He wore very thick glasses and someone told me he would end up with his fly stuck in the bushes on the other side of the Gualala River. He was quite a fly caster.

Those old timers got to see the real Steelheading that was available after WWII.

Walt said back then they mostly fished the Russian River because it was so good you had no reason to go any further.

steelie
03-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I would like to first introduce myself, name is Dennis. I have been reading Kiene's message board for almost two years now and really enjoy it very much. I use to fly fish back in the 80's, but stopped due to cost and being able to hook up with my fishing buddy, also my other outdoor passion (hunting). I'm getting back into it now and hooking up with my fishing buddy.

I really agree on many parts of Mr. Chatman article. I like gear fishing as much as fly fishing, as much as I like hunting. What is very true to his article is the management of our resourses, fish, wildlife and public lands. We all need to get together and get the appointment of the director of the Fish and Game away from the Governor. Groups like CalTrout, TroutUnlimited, United Anglers of California, California Rifle and Pistol Assn., NRA, California Deer Assn. and Mule Deer Foundation need to unite. We all have the same objective, to get the control of our natural resourses out of hands of big interest groups and back into ours. It is public lands and it resources that they want to control.

I too remember the days back in the 50's and 60's when you would throw back a 8# to 12# stripper, because it was to small. It was nothing to catch a 20# to 30# on the coast of San Mateo and San Fransisco.

Darian
03-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi Steelie,.... Welcome to the community. I like the message in your post. 8) 8)

k.hanley
03-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Chatham inspired me (along with Bob Nauheim and others) to explore our northern coast. Rivers -- estuaries -- beaches were all havens for great adventures and catches of "lifetime fish." I can remember watching these guys. Standing in awe of their skills. Mesmerized with their successes.

This article certainly represents what I have come to know of the fisheries. It represents, in part, what I've experienced with our coastal fisheries. Man do I remember the days of catching silvers along the Mendocino coast.

Chatham nailed it.
With respect, Ken

Tracy Chimenti
03-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I hauled ass down to the fly shop for this read after seeing the post on Blanton's board. If you read the preface to "Angler's Coast", it made note of Chatham's tough outer shell-- that the demise of our coastal system "was not getting to him... that there was other game...." Well, it must be getting bad everywhere, because after you read his article, you can tell it's starting to rub Chatham.

No matter how hard you try to turn your back on the past, you always come back to your roots. Perhaps we are sheltering ourselves from the inevitability of our own demise by reconnecting with our youthful experiences. With the demise of the resource, are we denied that connection? Is the demise of our fisheries and the demise of ourselves somehow connected inside us? And are we in denial? If we give up on our fish, are we giving up on ourselves and our own definition of proper civilization?

I usually find Chatham's writing to contain an inner message that comes out in several reads. In this article, i can tell in one read that he's just flat pissed-off and losing patience. I think his point is that we're all in denial of the impending trajedy and we'd better to go down swinging.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2007, 09:21 AM
I see a new interest lately in fly fishing for Steelhead which might trickle down to some stream revitalizations in the next few decades.

I would love to see the CA DF&G and the fishermen with help from fishing organizations get together and save a few of the smaller rivers that could be saved for a testament to "wild Steelhead"?

It would be nice to have a few good rivers with only wild Steelhead and wild salmon in them that were "catch and release" only.

The DF&G could assess all the rivers and make a judgment as to which would be the ones to work on first.

Darian
03-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Tracy,.... You make a some very good observations/points. Chatham has definitely become aggrivated at the current state of fisheries. I've read all of his published writings to date and haven't seen anything approaching this level of frustration and impatience in them, before.

We are probably not in denial about the condition of anadromous fisheries but are lulled into a passive stance by the frustration of dealing with unresponsive or confused governmental institutions (all levels) that have contributed to the current state of the fisheries as much as loss of habitat. :? :? In other words, we have met the enemy and it is us.

A large number of people who are eligible to vote don't. That means we get the quality of government we deserve. Quite often it translates into a system that seeks self perpetuation thru endless revenue enhancements fed by rampant development and/or politically influenced outcomes. :( :(

I'm not an anarchist but do believe that unless we learn how to play the political game and participate, we'll preside over the loss of anadromous fisheries and a lot more in this state. :( :(

Tracy Chimenti
03-25-2007, 10:34 AM
You put it in the right words, darian. We get what we put out. And until we bring 5000+ fisherman down to the capital grass to demonstrate, we're gonna have no end to this. I say spin the son-of-buck with the help of the media. Let's get them whipped up.

lee s.
03-25-2007, 08:21 PM
http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=81536
.... :wink:

Darian
03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
As if to emphasize what Chatham's frustrations/observations are, there's an article in the April 2007 issue of National Geographic magazine titled, "STILL WATERS THE GLOBAL FISH CRISIS. This article reports on the affects of commercial fisheries on the ground/pelagic fish species of the worlds oceans. It's depressing to see that the leader in ocean fish conservation/protection is New Zealand (according to Natinal Geo.). Just the affects of traulers in Mexican waters is enough to make you want to puke. :puke: :puke: JerryinLodi has mentioned this in some of his personal obserevations from last summer near Mulege. 8)

As Chatham states, it's not the sports fisherman who is the problem for ocean fisheries. It's commercial overfishing that's doing it.... As is always the case, the need to feed populations, worldwide, is driving the market. I'm sympathetic to the plight of small commercial operators but the big corporate guys, pirate fishers and foreign fishing fleets need to be regulated to keep from depleting every last resource in the ocean and then claiming need of economic assistance from the Feds. 8) 8) 8)

OK, I'm getting down from the soap box now. 8) 8) 8)

bigtj
03-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I had the pleasure of guiding Russ a few years back on the Kanektok. A great fisherman and a very nice man. He's done a lot for the sport, that is for sure. Nice to see he is still writing passionately. Thanks for the heads up.

Chum
03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, fellas - so what are we going to do? Wax poetical on some fly fishing chat board about the way things used to be, or do something about it? When was the last time you wrote to a state assembly person or member of congress or the senate? What are you doing to protect even your local resources? No one posts a single reply to a post about the potential degradation of one of NorCal's fishing jewels - Lake Manazanita. But, half a dozen or so feel compelled to express their alignment with Chatham's frustation. What gives?

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly respect the members of this board - y'all are among the best. But, in the world as it now exists, if your an angler, you ought to consider yourself a steward of resources and act accordiingly.

So there's my vent. I'm off my soapbox as well.

bigtj
03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Chum, man you are being pretty harsh, don't you think? I mean why the negativity, when clearly a lot of folks on this board are contributing to the resource? Go through the archives, there are a lot of concerned and involved folks. Personally, I write letters and sign petitions on a regular basis. I just got done sending a letter to the governor about dam licensing on the Klamath, and organized an e-mail petition for the latest winter regs in N. CA. Plus I do volunteer work for Cal Trout and NDOW. So no need to rant about doing stuff and throw out a blanket lecture when a lot of people already are "acting accordingly". Enocouragement is always a better motivator than calling people out.

Darian
03-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Hmmmm,.... I'm not sure we're getting you wrong, Chum. Your remarks may not've been disrepectful but were made from an ignorant position.

What is it about your post that required an response :?: :?: :?: You posted info that gave notice about a particular Trout fishery with links. How do you know that out of everyone on this BB, nobody wrote a letter or talked to an official about your concern :?: :?: How do you know whether another member hasn't adopted your cause or wasn't already aware of the situation you describe :?: :?: :?: The answer is, you don't. 8)

As to your concern about why members are responding to this topic area and not yours. :? :? Maybe, like myself, they like anything that Chatham writes and agree with his stated cause.... 8) 8) Does that mean they or I don't care about Manzanita Lake :?: :?: Certainly not....

Lighten up.... 8) 8) :D