PDA

View Full Version : Looks like some people don't know the new regs....PICS ADDED

dtp916
03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I got out on the Truckee River with my buddy Tim and ripped lips all day 8) 8) 8) . Netted at least 10 rainbows 17-21" and one crazy brown 20-21". It was the best day on the Truckee I've ever had! 8) 8) 8) The Truckee always hands me a beating and today all my hard work paid off. Had one on that was an easy 8 lbs, jumped halfway out of the water and shook the hook. My buddy however, managed one 18" bow, and broke off a lunker brown that was probably 4-5 lbs. Too much pressure, I told him to ease up! :)

However when I was leaving, some jackass comes out telling me he's going to call the DFG because we were poaching and the river wasn't open until the last Saturday in April. I told him that they passed new regulations fro several rivers in California and they took effect March 1, 2007. I told him to read the new DFG Regulation booklet. He rudely insisted he was right and was going calling the DFG, took license plates for the 3 cars in the area and sped off...What an ass. He really pissed me off.

Sorry I don't have pics for you guys I left my camera in the car and started having supersitions that if I got it the good fishing would die down...Us Hawaiians are weird like that :lol:

Update: 3.19.07 - Got some pics for you guys 8) These are the fish I been catching lately on the Truckee :D

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/dtp916/006.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/dtp916/021.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/dtp916/014.jpg

JT
03-18-2007, 09:52 PM
It sounds like you had a really good day. Good job, dtp916.

bigtj
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
DTP,

It's kind of understandable that the guy would be pissed. I mean this reg thing has happened pretty fast. Don't take it too personally, he was just trying to do the right thing. He'll figure out that he made a mistake soon enough, and will probably feel pretty bad about it. Most people have good intentions most of the time, it's simple misunderstandings that usually lead to hard feelings.

Best regards and glad you had a good trip.

-John

marteen
03-20-2007, 08:00 AM
DPT:

Be careful out there. Not all fisherpersons are civilised! I never thought it would come to this over a trout.

http://www.ncffb.org/index.cgi?frames=n;read=367798&expand=1

Cheers,

Marteen

dtp916
03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Whoa that is pretty dramatic :shock: I not a very confrontational person on the water, I just thought it was really unecessary for him to go into a rampage and refused to listen to what we had to say...I don't think too many people would mess with my buddy Tim and I, but thanks for the eye opener. I remember hearing about shootings on the Trinity earlier this season! One of the guys on the NCFFB had a good idea - Just tell the the bait fishers that the warden patrols the area all the time/you talked to him earlier that day, and to watch out for him because its a big fine....and they usually get the hint and thank you and leave. 8)

JT
03-21-2007, 12:54 AM
I've confronted quite a few people who were either bait fishing out of season or standing right on the redds (both are common sights on Putah Creek). I've never had anyone go crazy. I confronted a bunch of drunk guys this last weekend and they were cool about it.

trog
03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
James - Roughly what section of the Truckee were you fishing? I'm heading up that way in a couple weeks but I'm not very familiar with the river (other than looking over Fanny Bridge and wistfully watching monster browns mill about). If you prefer, email me at olafd@comcast.net.
Thanks,
Olaf

bigtj
03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Roughly, fishing is good from the town of Truckee to the state line. However, I would concentrate on the section between hirschdale exit and Truckee for ease of acess and proximity to driving from the west. There are maps available on the internet and from fly shops (Bill you got any???) that show access, or, alternatively, you can drive around and figure it out yourself. Keep in mind that right below the genshire bridge is the San Franciso Fly-fishers club and trespassing on this land is a major, major no-no. Also, there is a fair bit of private property upstream of the bridge as well, so do your homework on acess and when in doubt, fish somewhere else. Probably the easiest no-brainer acess is near the old town site of Boca, or near the I-80 bridges upriver about a mile, which most of us locals call "the loop".

The Truckee has a really sharp learning curve. Don't expect to get into a bunch of fish consistently until you put your time in. If you are up for the challenge though the rewards can be sweet.

trog
03-21-2007, 11:05 AM
BigTJ - Thanks for the advice. I've heard the Truckee can be tricky indeed.

dtp916
03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Olaf - BigTJ is right the fishing should be good from town to the state line. I'd pick up a map, and go over the 59 or so "spots" or access points in CA and pick one that you think will be slow and deep. Then fire away. Truckee is a tough place if you're not familar with it. Just keep at it and you'll get a lucky break like I did :D

trog
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks James.