PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake Tips

A Matthews
03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm heading out with a group to fish Pyramid Lake this weekend. Any suggestions on flies and presentations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Darian
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Actually,.... I could refer you to prior posts on this subject, provide some info myself or just advise you to visit the Reno Fly Shop on the way to the lake. They can provide you with all of the current info on techniques, flies and locations. You can get a fishing report from:

www.renoflyshop.com

The fishin's been hot recently.

Good luck :D :D :D :D

jayclarkflyfishing
03-15-2007, 07:01 AM
look out for the tourney that is going on this weekend.800-900 participents.Other than that there is a lot of algea this season so you might want to try stripping with an intermediate line.There are a lot of suspended fish this year.Other than that look for the crowds and you will find the fish.Have fun!Jay

Terry Thomas
03-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Most people fish a two fly set up. A black woolybugger of some sort has probably caught more fish in that lake than any other fly. The second fly would be some kind of beetle or pollywog pattern. The beetle is just some foam pulled over some Estaz material. White over chartruse and black over chartruse are two standard colors. The Reno Fly Shop is always and good place to stop off before going over to Pyramid. You can even buy your permit at the shop.
T.

bigtj
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I just got back from Pyramid an hour and a half ago. You probably want to forget the stripping thing, guys aren't doing that great on the strip. It's not working nearly as well as nymphs. Fish a #12 flashback pheasant tail nymph under an indicator with a floating line. You can also experiment with other nymphs like copper johns and zug bugs. If you have a float tube or other boat use it, otherwise bring a 6-foot step ladder. Pyramid is fishing as good as I've ever seen it. Be ready for some serious company. Also, the best bite is from first light until 10 am so don't dilly-dally around and show up too late.

It' wouldn't hurt to bring a 200-grain shooting head and some wooly worms or crystal buggers but I'd be as inclined to strip nymphs or smaller beetle patterns (#6-#10) as anything else.

Good luck to you.

A Matthews
03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I picked up some copper johns and pheasants tails today at the shop. I can't wait to get out there and catch some fish! If there's a tournament, well...I'll have to let the other guys in my group know. I'm game either way. But maybe they'll wanna reschedule.

Tight lines...

Anthony

A Matthews
03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! I went with a group of guys and did really well (I think. Since it was my first trip, I don't have others to compare it to. But I caught more fish than the others in the group). After getting skunked in the AM, I hooked up with 7 and landed 4 in the PM. The fish couldn't lay off the RED san juan worm and pheasant tail. Man, they are aggressive in the flats!

bigtj
03-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Glad to hear you did so well! That lake can be addicting. Some times it's on, some times not. Unfortunately I got the flu this weekend so I couldn't go Saturday. Glad somebody made it out...sounds like plenty of people were out there (my sources tell me the launch at Pelican was a zoo!). Anyway good work and way to go.

Best regards,

-John