PDA

View Full Version : 3-11-07 Modesto Reservoir Report

Hairstacker
03-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Made my annual pilgrimage out to Modesto Reservoir to try for some smallies this morning. Beautiful, warm, calm day. Fished for about 3 hours out of the inflatable kayak from 9:30 - 12:30. Tossed a size 6 Murray's Strymph variant at all the likely places (rocky points, underwater ledges and boulder fields, etc.) but was only able to scratch up a few of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Modesto031107a.jpg

Thought it interesting that I only caught largemouths today, whereas in the past I only caught smallmouths in the same areas, same time of year, fishing exactly the same fly pattern the same way. Also interesting that these largemouths had the same kind of washed-out coloration that I previously noted in the smallmouths there.

These largemouths were scrappy, especially on my 5 wt. rod, and a lot of fun but, alas, they weren't the smallmouths I was looking for. Ah well, maybe next time.

kokaneejr
03-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Nicely done, I have a question for you? I just got a dragonfly inflateable kayak and wanted to do some bass fishing of my own. Wondering what type of line(s) you are using. I was thinking of a floater with a sink tip as a backup. Thanks...Craig.

Ed Wahl
03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Glad to see you're gettin into 'em Mike. I've been using the 5wt so far this year also. ED

Hairstacker
03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Kokaneejr -- I was using a full floating line, which seemed to work fine for targeting structure close to shore where the water was often relatively shallow. The night before, though, I debated bringing a sinking line too and ended up wishing I had so I would have the option of targeting water further from shore. Could be the smallies were staging a little deeper and I just wasn't presenting to them.

Once my Delta largemouth bass season gets underway, I'll be using the full floating line exclusively, especially since I'll be fishing topwater the majority of the time and I don't like to carry more than one rod on the kayak. A full floating line is also often less hassle when maneuvering the kayak at the same time, as you don't have to worry about your sinking line getting snagged on the bottom somewhere while you're drifting around. By the way, you are going to HAVE to get that Dragonfly out on the Delta for some topwater bass bugging! :D

Ed -- It was great just to get out! I saw you and David have been getting into 'em as well. 8)

SullyTM
03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Looks like the start of a good Spring Mike! Beautiful looking day!

I hit the neighborhood pond this AM and managed one bass to hand! I wasn't in my inflatable :cry: and I paid the price with 4 lost flies in the trees! The black(?) bass were schooling and wandering back and forth close to the bank. Is schooling of bass common in the early spring?? Some surface activity but the bass may have been bored.

Later...

kokaneejr
03-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks H. I spent last night reading your past reports and getting excited. I have never used a Kayak before and obviously never fly fished from one either but it sounds like a blast. I plan on taking it out soon to a nearby lake to get comfortable with it then it's off to the delta. I have a map from the book "Fishing California Freshwater" of the delta covering from Grant line up to isleton and west froDecker Island east to Mc Donald tract. This is in the striper section but will this be a good starting point ...Thanks again...Craig.

David Lee
03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Mike -

Those little Bass look kind of chilly - was the water cold , or just stained ? I've often caught them in that pale , sort of washed-out coloration when fishing ponds w/ a high amount of clay in them .....

When are you headed up this way ??????

David :D

Hairstacker
03-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Thom -- I have often seen 3 or 4 like-sized fish cruising around together in the spring (as well as later) in lakes and ponds, although I've never seen particularly big bass cruise near the surface together in groups like this.

Kokaneejr -- There's an unbelievable amount of great water within those boundaries. You might also want to pick up the Fish-n-Map Company's map of the Delta. You can get it at Wal Mart, and it will provide more details, like water depths, locations of rock barriers, etc.

David -- I didn't take the water temp but it did seem kind of cold, and it was also kind of stained. I believe the rock formations were sandstone but they were clay-colored, so I'd say you were right on all counts. :thumbsup: Don't know when I'll be able to head up that way but you'll be the 1st to know! :D