PDA

View Full Version : 15 Million Fly Fishers! Bill's Business Must Be Booming!

chemdoc
03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
There was an interesting article in the Thursday Bee about outdoor activities. Between 2004 and 2005 the number of flyfishers dropped by 20%, yet there are apparently still nearly 15 million people that list fly fishing as an activity in which they participate. I am quite surprised that the number is that large, but perhaps the majority of those only fish occasionally or solitude would be hard to come by. Given that most fly fishers are male and adults, then more than one of every 10 must be a fly fisherman. Very surprising.

Phil

JerryInLodi
03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
It would be interesting how many times these would be ffers fish annually. I would bet that SA, Sage, Redington, etc have a good idea of the demographics of the sport. I wonder if they release the info in trade mags.

What about it Bill, is there any industry estimate of the number of ffers?

David Lee
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Hmmmmmm ....... :?

They'd all better stay the hell away from my spots on the American .

:evil: David :evil:

Digger
03-09-2007, 07:18 PM
These guys could tell ya . . .

http://www.affta.com/additional.php?recKey=10

Ed Wahl
03-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it goes something like this. Some guy watches the movie, and understandably wants to fly fish. He buys the gear to fly fish, tries it once or twice and then gives it up. However, he keeps the gear in his garage because he considers himself a flyfisherman now. When asked, he'll say "oh sure, I fly fish" to anyone who asks. As I've run into several of these types I'm of course an authority :roll:. As far as Bill's business goes, he doesn't need any more customers than me, I think I've personally financed his vacations for several years :D . Ed

dtp916
03-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure it goes something like this. Some guy watches the movie, and understandably wants to fly fish. He buys the gear to fly fish, tries it once or twice and then gives it up. However, he keeps the gear in his garage because he considers himself a flyfisherman now. When asked, he'll say "oh sure, I fly fish" to anyone who asks.

I can't even count the number I've people I've met that say they fly fish :lol: :lol: :lol: I was like really?....Where do you like to go? This is usually their response: "Oh you know, up north by Redding or Lake Tahoe Area." :roll: :roll:

Ed Wahl
03-09-2007, 09:39 PM
When I first ran into that phenomenon I thought, allright, gonna be some good deals on slightly used rods now. I think all those rods are collecting cob-webs in attics and garages now. Maybe in 30 years there's gonna be a lot of good deals on 30 year old rods. :lol: Did you ever make it out to Cache Creek yet? Ed