PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Peninsula

denny griffin
03-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Am going up to the Olympic Peninsula for three days of fishing Mar. 28-April 1. Going with some spinning gear guys but plan to use my 8 or 9wt. Would like to get any input on what type of line to use, and what sink tips to carry. Will be on the Hoh and the Quinault. Any fly suggestions?
Thanks in advance

SteelieD
03-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Hey Denny, I havn't fished the OP (yet!!) but you might try asking here http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com. Just don't ask about any particular spots, they are not as kind there as on this board! Sounds like you've got that covered though.

Good luck!

matt johnson
03-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Denny,

As far as lines go, a 200 grain "teeny style" line or a 15' type 6 sink-tip should be fine. For me it is easier to adjust the weight of my flies for a given piece of water rather than changing lines all the time.

For flies, pink is big on the Peninsula. Beyond pink, just come equipped with some big dark and bright flies in case the water is dirty and some smaller subdued flies in case it is clear. I have kind of settled on string-leeches for all of my sunk fly fishing, but just about anything seems to work if you are fishing the right water and there are happy fish about. For some "trip insurance", you might want to bring some egg patterns and split shot to use on a floating line.

If you are travelling through Port Angelas, stop by Waters West flyshop. That place is steelhead flyfishing central. You can pick up some great flies and advice. Good luck up there, that is some wonderful steelhead country. Matt.

denny griffin
03-15-2007, 10:35 AM
SteelieD and Matt;
Thanks for the input. Hope to have some photos to post when I return.
Denny

shawn kempkes
03-16-2007, 04:25 AM
plan on having a plan b. Those river go out really easy and stay out for
a long time. Also unless you are staying a Quinalt lodge I would try to focus on the hoh. The Hoh has alot better flywater and easier access.
The quinalt is a long drive from where the hotels are up there.