PDA

View Full Version : Favorite stillwaters to fish in late March?

windknot
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I know the backcountry is still inaccessible but a lot of the lower elevation lakes are iced out by late March. I'm going to have some free time around the last week of March and looking for suggestions for lakes that are either roadside or within a short hike (three miles?) of a trailhead that are fishable by that time period. Thanks a lot!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Maybe little Lake McCumber which is 45 minutes out of Redding, CA on Hwy 44 east.

Float tube, V-boat, pontoon boat, kayak, canoe or pram.

No motors.

Baum Lake too.

Ed Wahl
03-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Windknot, how'd your parents come up with a name like that? :) I see 98 views and only 1 reply, I think your question might be a bit too general. Can you narrow it down to a certain area? Ed

windknot
03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Heh well see, my dad really liked fly fishing..

Thanks Bill. I probably wouldn't be able to travel as far as Baum or McCumber since I'll be driving from Fresno but I've heard great reports out of Baum and one or two stories from McCumber that make me want to check it out next time I'm in the area.

With that in mind, I'd have to put the Lakes Basin off hwy 49 as the farthest north I could drive and the junction of 108 and 395 near the West Walker as the farthest south I could reach on the east slope. Any low elevation reservoir south of the Yuba on the west slope or in the Tahoe area is fair game.

I know Hetch Hetchy is open all year; has anyone fished it recently?

Thanks for the tip Ed. :P

Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
I would also call/email Bob Nakayama in Modesto at Sierra Angler Fly Shop and see what her recommends?

http://www.sierraanglersflyshop.com/index.html

Flycanoe
03-08-2007, 02:06 PM
If you're near Fresno, why not go to Pineflat or the Kings river?

There are a few other places not quite as far as HH you might consider, but will depend on road conditions.

Up hwy 120, you could try Cherry lake and/or hike over to Lake Eleanor from there (but call Groveland range station to verify if cherry road is open).

Up hwy 108, you could try Beardsley reservoir (but call Summit ranger station to verify if beardsley road is open).

I'm sure there's lakes you can get to in the crystal basin, but I'm not as familiar with that area.

After that, your best bet is motherload lakes like McClure, Don Pedro, Melones and Camanche.

windknot
03-08-2007, 02:53 PM
The lower Kings will probably be blown out with the release of water for irrigation by late March, and Pine Flat is a little too hard to fly fish. It'd be great to find smaller lakes in the Fresno area though. Thanks for the information!

bigtj
03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Pyramid. It is getting really "hot" out there right now. March can mean 20+ fish days and a legitimate chance of a 10+ pounder.

David Lee
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Sly Park (Jenkinson) for Mackinaw . Top 20 feet of water .

Go get 'em !!

David :D

bigtj
03-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Just got back from pyramid...we boated 30+ fish that averaged 22". the best big-fish day I've ever seen out there. Give it a shot!

Darian
03-10-2007, 11:23 PM
If you're considering going over to Nevada, a closer lake for Lahonton Cutthroat would be Walker.... Not as good as Pyramid but closer. Then there's East Walker River below Bridgeport Rsvr..... 8) 8) 8)

bigtj
03-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Darian, are you thinking of another lake ? Walker lake is a much longer drive from Sac isn't it? I've never done the drive from Sac to walker but over 50 it would be 1.75 hours at least to Carson and then another couple hours from Carson to Walker lake. Mapquest even says it's 4.5 hours from Sac to Hawthorne and 2 hr 38 minutes from Sac to Sutcliffe. So there is no comparison. And it's the kind of drive that feels much longer with all the winding back roads, Pyramid is a quick straight shot on the freeway most of the way.

You also have the Truckee and Little Truckee and the American you can hit on the way back if you want from Pyramid. And the fishing at Walker Lake doesn't hold a candle to Pyramid, even when it's "on". Pyramid is as good as it gets right now, I wouldn't mess with Walker unless you want to fish around Mammoth or the East Walker.

Ed Wahl
03-12-2007, 08:56 AM
bigtj, what flies and what type lines were working at Pyramid? Ed

bigtj
03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Floating line and #12 PT nymph under an indicator. We were fishing out of a drift boat but off a ladder will work, too. Feel free to PM me I'll give you more specific details offline no worries.

Darian
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Yep, the Walker Lake in Nevada is what I was referring to.... Looks like windknot lives Berkeley and dfistance was a concern.... Soooo, a trip over the Sierra's from there doesn't require going over I-80.... 8) 8) But, I have no current info about Walker to offer. Just proposed as an alternative.

Given a choice, I'd go to Pyramid, myself. :D :D Altho, the East Walker (in Nevada) might be a good choice, too.