PDA

View Full Version : New year New Yak

Rickey Noel Mitchell
03-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Last November Kurt Renner West Coast Sales Rep for Current Design kayaks and Wenonah Canoes dropped off a prototype of Current Design’s newest kayak, The Altura…a sit on top with a composite hull, a mixture of kavlar…and fiberglass.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/paddle-and-flies/BlackhawkAlturacopy.jpg
I received the Altura at about 7: 00 at night I was on the water the following morning by 6:00. Anxious to get on the water I’d done no rigging what so ever. I simply sat my fishing crate in the open well, strapped it down with the well straps provided, another standard from Current Design, and I was off. By the time I paddled from the launch area out on to open water I was going at a pretty good clip. Without slowing down I extended my paddle out, leaned just a bit and did an extended brace. The results were… I did a complete reverse and was headed back toward the launch. On the way back to the launch I stood up and paddle back to the launch. I like to be able to stand in kayaks for a few reasons,
Last November Kurt Renner West Coast Sales Rep for Current Design kayaks and Wenonah Canoes dropped off a prototype of Current Design’s newest kayak, The Altura…a sit on top with a composite hull, a mixture of kavlar…and fiberglass.

I received the Altura at about 7: 00 at night I was on the water the following morning by 6:00. Anxious to get on the water I’d done no rigging what so ever. I simply sat my fishing crate in the open well, strapped it down with the well straps provided, another standard from Current Design, and I was off. By the time I paddled from the launch area out on to open water I was going at a pretty good clip. Without slowing down I extended my paddle out, leaned just a bit and did an extended brace. The results were… I did a complete reverse and was headed back toward the launch. On the way back to the launch I stood up and paddle back to the launch. I like to be able to stand in kayaks for a few reasons,
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/paddle-and-flies/RiggedAltura-fullShot.jpg
1. It’s a good way to check out secondary as well as general stability of a craft, canoe or kayak.
2. I spend a lot of time on rivers, and I’ve found the best way to explore a new one is to pole up it (poling or simply standing does take some practice).
3. Sight fishing or just scouting for fish.

After a few more hours of paddling and trying different paddling strokes, sculling, reverse and others to get the feel of the Altura, I was in awe. The Altura at 15 feet and 31 inches handled better than my favorite 16 feet and 28 inch wide plastic yak!
[ Excerpt from the article “Heavenly Bodies or Hulls” from the next issue of Kayakfisherman. Allow me to share the reason for my revelation. The combination of the materials Kevlar and fiberglass blended together create an extremely stiff hull on any craft.
When you paddle a polyethylene kayak over the water the body would flex, due of course to the flexibility of the plastic. Which is also the same reason you get oil canning.
When the kayak hull flexes it slows down not just your paddling speed but paddle response in general.
When you paddle a composite body kayak over the water, there is no flexing due to the density of Kevlar and fiberglass the materials that a composite body kayak is made of. In short a fifteen foot, thirty-one inch wide, composite bodied yak…can turn on a dime.]

I was delighted with the Prototype but I was told there would be some changes on the production model. I received the production model March 2, More on that plus photo’s part three. For here’s the spec’s

The Production Altura comes standard with a rudder. Pricing will be established shortly. Between $1600 to $1700.

Spec’s:

<sum> 15’ x 31”
<sum> 56# with rudder
<sum> Rear well is recessed and fitted for “milk crate” and “5 gal bucket” foot prints and includes a scupper
<sum> Rear deck has been extended for a larger mounting surface
<sum> Center council has been extended 5” further aft (closer to the angler) offering additional mounting surface
<sum> Inside grab rails are longer for better grip and balance
<sum> Angler seat area is sculpted for comfort
.Foot wells are lowered and scuppered.

BillPu
03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a great yak. When do you think they'll be available? Which stores in Sacramento will carry them?

Rickey Noel Mitchell
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
California Canoe and Kayak by lake Natoma.
I will be at Kiene's Expo with two of them rigged and ready.