PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report from guide Hogan Brown

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
The Caddis Hatch on the Lower Sacramento started this weekend in force. With 70 degree weather Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the bugs started popping stronger than I have ever seen them. With the big hatches the fish are now on the feed. Good numbers of 16-18” FAT rainbows were caught all three days and even a few fish on dry flies during the evening.

The Lower Yuba continues to clear as Deer Creek continues to drop and the reservoir clears out. I would expect that Yuba to get to fishable clarity in the next week or two if we don’t see any big storms come through.

Bass, Carp, and Stripers. This warm weather will kick Largemouth into pre spawn mode and start to move many of the carp on to the flats to feed for their spawn. Warmer water temps will get the migratory stripers moving up river and the resident ones back on the feed. March is great time to catch big large mouth bass as they began to feed in preparation to spawn.

The Feather River. While the stripers have been eating steelhead smolt lower in the river, and I have been taking full advantage of that, the spring steelhead are yet to show up. There have been a few reports of early spring steelhead being caught but not many. Look for these fish to start moving up during the next few weeks as weather warms.

I still have both weekend and weekday dates open in March so if any of this sounds interesting give me a call and let’s book a date. March is a great time to be out on the water.

Thanks,

Hogan Brown

530-514-2453

1888 SAC RIVER

www.sacriveroutfitters.com