PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Streams Update

Dave Neal
03-05-2007, 10:06 PM
First off, I'm new on this board and want to say HI. I have enjoyed reading this forum for a while...lot of good stuff. Thanks.

I was born and raised in Granite Bay and frequented Kienes often. Bill sold me my first fly rod and it's been downstream ever since.

Anyway, introductions aside I wanted to give a report on some of the new winter streams in our area.

Hot Creek has been pretty unbelievable. There is great midge fishing in the late morning followed by a solid bwo hatch especially in the canyon section below the HC Ranch. Yesterday I even noticed the small dark caddis showing themselves. We are a little nervous about this fagile stream and the impacts year-round fishing will have, but, I believe most years the snow will keep all but the very hardy away until later in spring. This season we are having a dry one so access is not a problem. Right
now you can drive anywhere. I think the new year-round fishing is only going to be viable Mar & April and that is when it starts to fish well anyway. Spawning trout definetely deserve our respect and restraint, and that will be the real stickler.

The East Walker as of 3/5/07 is up to 90 cfs. This is a good improvement from the 20-40 cfs but still pretty low to be fun, for us or the trout that are stacked up in wintering pools. Nevada side (always has been open) is a great winter fishery this time of year. There are more tribs which = more water and better # of pools too. Plus, Nevada just has less people, period. Stoneflies are getting up and awake, bwo and midges are always on the menu.

Upper Owens has great access. No snow at all as of 3/5. Lots of big fish but spring creek smart and super spooky. Most people have no idea they were just there...you have to be stealthy! No stockers right now and that's the crux...and the crutch that a lot of people depend on in the summer. So it's a few smart BIGGIES or bagels...don't expect easy hook-ups on the U. Owens.

It's always been year-round but I'll mention it anyway. the Lower Owens rocks right now. Midges, then bwo mayflies, then some caddis...and today we fished Stimulators cuz the litttle stones are starting to ring a bell with the trout. Dry fly fishing was outstanding today!

Sorry this became a novel. I got a little excited. If any of you Westside folks are planing to come this way. Give a holler. And if I may include a shameless plug...for more beta on fishing round these parts please visit www.flyfishingmammoth.typepad.com

Darian
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Dave,.... Welcome to the Board community. Good report. It's been a long while since I fished Hot Creek. I was about 13 years old. So, that was around 1953. :roll: :roll: I recall what a treat it was to catch Trout in a stream that you could skinny dip in and feel like you were taking a bath.... :lol: :lol: What a treat. :D :D :D

SteelieD
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I have soaked in Hot Creek after day of mountain biking ... sure wish I was fly fisherman then!

Welcome aboard!