PDA

View Full Version : Kinda FF

Jay Murakoshi
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I have a question for those of you who duck and pheasant hunt.
How do they gauge the size of buckshot or lead.... I don't know what they call it. All I know is when I lived in the islands, I was shot in the butt with rock salt but I swear to god it was steel shot. We were just climbing out of a mango tree when the dude opened fired.

Is the larger the number on the bag the bigger the BB's.

The reason I'm asking is because of the dream I had last night regarding the Crank Baits and other deer hair patterns that I'm working on. I tried some regular BB's today but they were way big and way too heavy. You'll see the dream on March 10th

Jay

Bluegrass Bill
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey Jay,

I haven't hunted birds in a number of years but think it is still the same as when I did, the larger the number, the smaller the shot or pellet sizes. The shot sizes I used ranged from No 8's (smallest shot I used) for dove and quail to the larger shot sizes 2's and 4's for geese and generally 4's and 6's for ducks. BB sizes are the larger than 2's.

I look forward to seeing your creations on the 10th :)

Bill

Darian
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi Jay,.... As I recall, shot size is numbered from 10's thru 00. The larger the size, the lower the number.... For example, 00 is buckshot and number 10's are for skeet shooting. :) :) :)

Jay Murakoshi
02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is decided whether I want to buy a big bag of 00.
So I'm assuming if 00 is buck shot, the rock salt I had blasted into my butt was 0000.

Thanks

Jay

BenFishin
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
the rock salt I had blasted into my butt was 0000.

Thanks Jay, I was really wondering about that :D

Ben Fishin

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Jay

I use to shoot and reload and sold shot and shells so I should remember.

BB is a bigger shot then it goes smaller like 2, 4, 6 , 7.5, 8 and 9.

#9 is very small.

We sold lead shot in 25# sacks.

Now ducks and geese are steel shot.

I think upland game like pheasants and quail are still lead shot.

They have stuff like tungsten that is heavy and really expensive now too.

Some here probably reload and might have a small amount.

Paul Mc
03-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Try an experiment with different types of metal. In the Bass comps here, they had alot of success with Jackall bros vibration lures. The guys swear out of all the vibration lures on the market, the Jackalls had a particular noise, which had more to do woth the metal in the balls and the titanium used in part of the hollow case inside the lure.
I would try and find some shot in "quail shot" its about 10 or 12 load, and if it comes in titanium, it would be interesting.
Lots of people here have used noise in flies, if you can get the right noise without dampening it works
Paul.

davkrat
03-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Shot goes from smallest size 12, this is the snake shot in shotshell pistol rounds, and is very small. Dove and quail loads are usually 7.5 or 8 which are .095" and .090" respectivley. From size twelve it goes up in size thru the numbers to 1, then B .170", BB, BBB, T, TT, F which is .220" the size of a .22 bullet.

Buckshot begins at size B .170 the same as above, goes thru F and then there is size 2 and 4 buck which are .240" and .270" then you get into the 00 and 000 size buck shot.

I would think that something in the standard bird loads, size 4 or 6 for pheasant and 7.5 or 8 for dove quail would be the easiest to find and should easily fit a few in a tube inside a fly.

As far as what metal you use the common options are magnum or chilled lead. Magnum has more antimony in the mix making it harder so it doesn't deform when shot which leads to flier pellets. Sometimes you want that, sometimes you don't. Lead also comes with a copper or a nickel coating. These coatings make them even harder and less likely to deform. I would think they would give you a different sound too. The non-toxic shots which came out to protect waterfowl from lead poisoning include steel, tungsten, hevishot (expensive but very dense and killer on ducks), and bismuth (what peptobismol is made from).

Here is a link to where you can buy all of these types of shot. http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/departments.asp?dept=63 The non-toxics can be very expensive and if you have to have them shipped it costs about $20 extra per bag since they are so heavy. Most of the sporting good stores in Sac don't carry much shotshell reloading components. The new Sportsman's Warehouse in Roseville has a lot of stuff and would probably at least have a couple of the different types of shot. You'll probably only ever need one bag. There are 3600 size 6 pellets in one pound and lead comes in a 25 lbs. bag. That's 90,000 pellets in one bag, you could tie a few flies and even screw up every once in a while 8)

Mike McKenzie
03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
If you are talkin' about using the shot for fly rattles I think you'd best try #6 shot and smaller given that you say the regular BB's were to big and heavy. I'd guess you're gonna' be tying some pretty heavy flies??

One thing to remember is most shot is not consistantly round due to manufacturing methods and this may impair the "rattle" effect.

See Ya' the 10th
Mike

Jay Murakoshi
03-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Paul,

The shot is not for rattles but to sink the fly. I have come up with an idea via a dream on how to sink the fly fast without using lead wire.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
03-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I already have premade rattles that go into my rattle trap fly. I'm in the process of modifying the fly so the rattle is louder. With the rattle inside the body of the deer hair, it's sort of muffled.
I hope to have a demo model at the Warm Water Expo in a couple weeks

Jay

FoothillFlyFisher
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Good day Jay

Go by Herb Bauers in Fresno off of Blackstone, and see "Brent" in the fishing department. He works on Thursday afternoons until closing. He can help you out. Tell him a friend from the Nor-Cal foothill's sent you his way... Hope this helps.

JayDubP
03-05-2007, 07:46 PM
here is link to site with specifications (size & weight) for both steel and lead shot.

Look forward to your solution.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/ammo_s082000.html

Ed Wahl
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Jay, right back to your original post, we generally just look at the size printed on the box. :D Reloaders by it by the bag but generally hunters grab a box of say, #6 magnum Pheasant loads, cause we want to shoot magnum pheasants. :lol: . I see you've already got the shot size specs you need, I'm just stirring the pot a little. :) Ed

Jay Murakoshi
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I just got back from the Pasadena show and had a dream about the lead shot. So I went and bought a box of #4 loads and opened all of the casings and took out the lead. I have enough to last until I die, so that means I will die around 125 years old.
Now the question is can I disposed of the shell casing in the garbage. Remember, the primer and powder is still intact. I don't want to blow up the garbage truck

Thanks to all

Jay

Ed Wahl
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I read somewhere that spraying wd40 on primers will neutralize the propellant. If you've got a shotgun, or can borrow one, you can just fire away. It'll make a muted poof, and the plastic wad will shoot out but that's about it. Now, I would never do such a thing but I've heard rumors that some jokers would open up some shells and replace the shot with such things as feathers, flour, monofilament line with 1 split shot on the end, etc, etc. Some people huh? And besides, wet flour makes a mess. Ed

Darian
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi Jay,.... If you don't want the mess of disposal, contact a local gun range. They will usually do it for you (maybe for a fee :?: ). :) If no other solution's available, you might have to take the stuff to a county hazardous waste disposal site. Think there's some legal requirements involved with getting rid of hazardous materials... :? :? :?

Mike McKenzie
03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Jay,
You might try callin' your local Police Department. I had a bunch of Federal Paper hulls that I reloaded (couldn't beat the price of the hulls..free) they got wet and swelled up so I couldn't use them in my shotgun. The Cops took them off my hands for disposal...
Mike

FoothillFlyFisher
03-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Fill up a bucket with water and dump them in for about a day, of so. After that put them in the trash, and everyone who comes in contact with them will be okay... Hope this helps.

Mike O
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
pull the wads out with needlenose pliers. Pour the gunpowder into a pile. paint stripes and whorls on your face, then light 'er up and dance around!! Makes for a cool fire, and a fitting way to send thanks to the fish gods! :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought about firing them off with the shotgun but not sure how loud it will be. I definitly don't need the cops at the front door. Then I thouht about igniting the gun powder but I'd probably burn down the house. So I guess I soak them in water

Jay

davkrat
03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Soaking them is the best bet. If you are going to shoot them out of a gun you better make sure the wad comes out every time. Without the weight of the shot charge the pressure may not spike enough to push the wad all the way out. This is what happens when you get a blooper. If you get a wad stuck and then fire another one behind it you could have a very dangerous pressure spike!