PDA

View Full Version : Merc oil alarm

Tracy Chimenti
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, was out a month ago and my low oil alarm was going off and shutting my motor down to one leg. Plenty of oil. Alarm is a continuous tone until motor is shut down.

I want to check the oil level sensor, apparently inside the oil tank. Motor is a '99 40Hp Merc 4-stroke. Is the oil tank below power head, under the lower unit housing? I'd wait for the shop to check this, but they can't get me in until the 13th and I'm gettin itchy about fishin. Anybody done this before?

Thanks, Tracy

Tony Buzolich
02-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Tracy,

Are you sure that it's the "oil" alarm and not something else? I've got the same Merc but with a 50hp and I've been having my alarm go off when I get some debris in the impeller of the water pump. I've usually been in some weeds or idling to slow for a long period when this happens.

Just a possibility?,
TONY

Tracy Chimenti
02-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Hey Tony, that occurred to me. I was looking for the manual last night to check on horn types. It didn't seem too hot, and after a few moments and after re-start, it would run full throttle for about a minute before going back into alarm. I did get it into a little shallow water earlier in the day, while backing off a bank. It's a jet outboard, so I guess it must get water to the head from the jet pump, huh? Thanks for any help or insight you may have on this. Guess the river's gonna be alittle high and gray for a week or so eh?!

Tracy

Tracy

Tracy Chimenti
02-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey Tony, good call and thanks alot! I called Eric's in Yuba and they said the alarm is an over-heat alarm. I need to back flush it. Thanks again for the insight. You have salvaged my early striper season (if it stops raining for a while!).

Tracy

Tony Buzolich
02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
It was just a chance guess. As I said, mine does it quite often too when I'm slow trolling or idling for long periods. Sometimes even little pieces of twig or bark or whatever will lodge up in the intake.

Back flush? Maybe I should try that on mine too?
TONY

Tim Bermingham
06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
hi tracy....first time posting here.

hey guys, have had same problem.....just clean out your thermostat next time. I think it's easier than backflushing. Plus one can perform this procedure while on the water. Be carefull not to drop anything!! :lol: Better to go to shore and perform this with the motor pulled up on the bank and the bow out in the water. It happends to me when I try to run through water with debris like the wind/debris line at the upper end of most lakes around here. The up canyon wind will gather/ backup the debris in the lakes and make it hard to get through. Best to just shut it down and row with the oars or use the electric until you get way past the danger. Sometimes even the weeds like hydrilla will foul you up too. That hardly ever ends up with a stuffed up thermostat though. Happy jetboating Bro! PS>>the dampwood termite is a great choice for Melones! We are hammering fish on the Merced. Hoppers are fading out there. But the grey nymph has been a hot fly.