PDA

View Full Version : Largemouth Rod Weight Suggestion

jhaquett
02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey just wondering if you guys would give me your advice on the rod weight I should use for a specific type of fishing.

The type of fishing I do is for big, hard fighting largemouth bass (3-8 lbs) in a LOT of weeds, moss, and general muck that the fish have to be pulled through in order to land. I was thinking a steelhead rod like a mod/fast action 8 weight. Thanks.

David Lee
02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
That sounds about right .

Or , perhaps a fast 8 overlined w/ a #9 Bug taper . Go with a straight mono leader , 15 or 20 lb. , with no knots . 6-8 feet should do the trick .

If you're looking for a Bug rod that won't break the bank .... check out the Albright Yellowstone emergency 8 wt. . I have one and love it (don't over-line it , it likes a regular 8 wt. line ...) . The action is moderate/fast , and it casts well if you don't force it .

It'll probablly cost less than the line :lol: As far as lines .... hard to beat the Mastery Bass Bug line .

Hope this helps .

David :D

Adam Grace
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I like a slightly smaller rod. I like a 9' 7wt rod, over-lined with an 8wt SA bass bug line. The 7wt doesn't tire met as much as the 8wt.

But the size and air resistance of the flies you are using should be the real deciding factor when choosing a bass rod. Also consider what type of cover you will be fishing. If you fish a lot of timber or heavy weeds choose a heavier more powerful rod to muscle those bass away from the cover.

Have fun fishing for bass.

jhaquett
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Great advice man thanks alot and i will definitely give those some serious thought.

jhaquett
02-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks to you too Adam, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 8 weight because I do fish around a lot of moss. I'll catch a 5 lb bass and pull it out 7 lbs total! Thanks again!

lee s.
02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
j,
Sounds like you like to fish'em like we do.....on top and in the absolutely heaviest poop you can toss into. 8) They must be different fish than our though. Never had a LM do much except GRAB/little fight, which is to our liking anyway. Long tug-0-wars can get boring. :lol: We used to use 7wt till we won a 10wt Loomis. It is now our FIRST choice for tossing the big bugs and pulling the big salad. We like our DT11F or WF12F on it.
....lee s.

jhaquett
02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow a ten weight....I thought people used those for Kenai Kings! Thanks for the advice.

Hairstacker
02-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Like Adam, I also use and prefer a 7 wt. rod uplined with an 8 wt. bass bug taper line. I use it mostly to fish in and around weed beds in the Delta.

Bass fishing presents somewhat of a dilemma -- in clear water, even a 7 wt. is over-gunning it for 95% of the fish you'll hook. Yet, you want something with a little beef for that other 5% in the weeds. . . .

I used a 5 wt. rod in the Delta for several seasons and had a blast. Never felt under-gunned with it, but after catching a few keeper-sized stripers on it while fishing for largemouths, I started worrying about that other 5%, so I started carrying the 7 wt.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Local guide Kevin Doran uses a Sage 9' #7 XP (discontinued now) with a WF10F (3 sizes up) SA saltwater line that is also discontinued.

For the larger flies we like a 7 or 8 rod with 2 line size over in a weight forward bass or saltwater floater.

I think this works well for the short casting done from a boat.

If your rod has a softer tip you might only over-line 1 size.

KD likes a 6' level leader of 20# test Maxima Ultra Green. That way when you get hooked up in the cover you can get your $5 fly back.

JerryInLodi
02-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I keep four Redington CR3 seven weights on my boat, two with Rio nine weight bug lines and two with an assortment of sinking lines depending on conditions. The sinking lines include 8 weight Rio multi-tips, Rio 250 gr. DC 26 foot sink tips and the Rio eight weight Type III 15 foot sink tips.

All are rigged and mounted against the front of the center console. The floating lines are set up with poppers, the sinking lines set up with subsurface stuff like woolly buggers. An angler can switch from sink tip to floating line in less than a minute.

Leaders same as KD, 6 foot Maxima 20#

One thing that has to be considered for the delta is the wind. you'll need a rod/line combination that throws a line heavy enough to counter the spring/summer winds that occur all the way through September. Anything less than a seven weight would be a problem most days.

Another thing to consider is that, even though the average LMB in the delta is about 1-2 pounds, there are some lunkers out there, stuff up to 15 pounds! In fact, it's believed that the next world record will come from the delta. And then there's the occassional striper that takes your fly. Oh my!

Rickey Noel Mitchell
02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
An eight wt used to be my main rod. Until I started fishing out of a kayak.
I'm able to get a lot closer to where the fish are. That's meant bigger fish for me. However after losing what could have been double digit fish right at the yak. The first broke my sage eight wt, when he hit my fly four feet from my yak what resulted was one hell of a tug of war when I lifted the butt of m rod up so I could boga the bass My rod shattered about a foot above the handle. After that I lost the other two because I wouldn't left when I should have.
Thesee days when I go after bass I'm after big bass. I use nine wts a Sage and a Powel. On one I have SA Streamer Express, the other SA a CourtLand
Tropica 10 wt line which I'll be replacing with a Bass Bug line.Whether your in a kayak or not I believe a good high end nine wt is a good choice for the winds at San Luis or the Delta waters, or those time when you get the chance to cast in saltwater. I can cast from a size 8 up to a 4/0 fly. (REMEMBER I did say I chase big bass.) comfortably.

jhaquett
02-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Cool lots of great information. Sounds like I should just stick with an 8 weight and stick with it.

Rickey I'm curious how big of bass do you actually catch?

Rickey Noel Mitchell
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
In the last year I've caught four around the same size as the one on my page, she weighed 7 1/2lbs . I lost three twice that size.
I've haven't hooked any real big ones since I started using nine weights.
2007 will be a year of serious fishing for me.

Jay Murakoshi
02-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm using a 7 1/2' 8wt (TFO) and overline one sometimes two lines. I'm also using the SA Saltwater series and the new RIO Outbound Tropical Floating. Trying to throw the big hair bugs that I'm tying could be tough wind or no wind.

I have now added weight to some of the crank baits by using BB's and lead shot. I will show the placement at the Warm Water Expo. I pity the tyer who sits next to Steve Potter and myself. The hair is going to be flying.

Jay

JerryInLodi
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey Jay, why such a short stick?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I think those short heavy rods are being designed for bass tournaments where fly rods have to be under 8 feet long?

G.Loomis, Scott and TFO all have rod under 8 feet for around tropical mangroves and bass tournaments.

JerryInLodi
02-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Hmmm, Hey Jay, are you goin' pro bassin? I can't even figure out where I can buy the spiffy looking rags!