PDA

View Full Version : Point Reyes report 2-24-07

Anne Vitale
02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Well...I finally took a break from booth sitting out at the Fly Fishing Show and got out to the beach today . It was good to get back out in the surf this afternoon. I got out there just as the low was bottoming out at mid-day. What I found was not very comforting. The surf was a mess. The water was heavy with sand and there were no clear signs of fish loving structure.

Even though I was on a supposedly protected beach, the waves were coming in in 2 to 3 foot high vertical walls of water. One minute I was in water below my knees and then WHAM :shock: I was in over my waist and being pushed toward shore. The secret was to keep my body sideways to the waves. Even then there were times I had to do a side-ways two step moving with the surge to keep from being pushed over.

Well....That worked until I turned my back to the sea to start to leave the water to head on home [-X . Next thing I knew I was on my back, feet in front of me and riding the wave into shore :oops: . With all the air in my waders (I was wearing a belt) I floated like a cork and for a moment, actually enjoyed the ride.

I headed on home around 3:00 without a single strike. Mark was fishing up the beach from me and he reported nothing as well. He mentioned that he thought the surf would flatten out with the tide so he stayed on to fish longer. Hopefully he will have a report later.

Now I am all dry and cozy and hopefully a little smarter......Anne

Mr. Noodle Rod
02-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey Anne,

Yesterday was certainly a tough & slow day for fishing at Drake's. After you left, I explored the west side of the bay where the waves & surge were more approachable during the late incoming. The west wind was still bothersome, but the breezes died down by late afternoon. Everywhere I went, the water along the shorebreak was dirty with sediment or muddy run-off from the recent rain. Along the way I passed by a couple of the "locals" slumbering against the base of the bluffs...

http://home.att.net/~rainbow.perch/Feb25-07/022507im-8.jpg
http://home.att.net/~rainbow.perch/Feb25-07/022507im-9.jpg

After several hours of fruitless flailing, I eventually got 2 BSP's to take a bite at my #12 Slinky Seducers sometime right before nightfall...

http://home.att.net/~rainbow.perch/Feb25-07/022507im-10.jpghttp://home.att.net/~rainbow.perch/Feb25-07/022507im-12.jpg

Otherwise, that was about all the action I could coax out of the surf for the entire afternoon. Hopefully, the seas & weather will calm down a bit the next time we head back out to Drake's! :D

- Mark

Anne Vitale
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Great Report Mark. I guess if anyone could catch a couple of perch out of that mess, it would be you 8) . I got to hand it to you. You really have staying-to-the-bitter-end will power. I probably just live too close to appreciate what I have. I get a little cold and wet and I am out of there :roll:.
Anne

kokaneejr
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Anne and Mark great reports,

Anne I was out with Mark on Saturday when he said it was much calmer. Let me tell you, his experience with the surf is amazing. I am standing almost right next to him and I am getting pounded while he is in a much calmer spot. I got knocked to my knees a couple of times by not waves but surges. I just need to remember to fish water that I can fish comfortably and that the fish probably will be there to. :)
FYI, I was actually ahead of Mark in fish count after my first one but then watched and fished as he caught the next 20 or so. I wasn't brave enough in the wind to use my 3/4 but used a 6/7 instead, couldn't tell if it worked better as it was rough(at least to me) out there. Still loved every minute of it and will be out somewhere at the end of the week. Stay safe ....Craig.

Mr. Noodle Rod
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
...I landed a dozen fish on Saturday, not 20+ (but the flattery's much appreciated! :lol:) Craig, sorry for dragging you along on the Pt. Reyes "death march" - I don't know about you, but my legs are still a little stiff from all that trudging in the soft sand. Hiking halfway around Drake's Bay on Sunday probably didn't help much, either (but it was great exercise!). :D

titelinez
02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Great report you two. You are a brave duo. I tend to stay home when the ocean is that angry. Way to stick with it.