PDA

View Full Version : Basic Saltwater Info

jhaquett
02-24-2007, 12:29 AM
This might be way too basic of a topic for you guys but I am interested in surf flying and I've never tried it. The only ocean fishing I've ever done is throwing chunks of squid into huge waves and hoping that you reel up something....

I was curious of the basic principles of surf fly fishing....what weight rod, what kind of line, how good at casting you have to be (how far you have to cast), etc. Most importantly, where is the best fishing around the Mendocino Fort Bragg area, SF Bay, or Humboldt areas? Any info would be helpful, and I'm not looking to just fish surf, harbor/cove fishing would be cool too. Thanks.

Lucky
02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Try this site under tactics. Lots of good info there.

http://fliflicker.com/

Darian
02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
There're some good resources available on this website. Look for any posts about Drakes Estero by Mr. Noodle Rod. He, also, has his own website that provides a lot of the info you're looking for. A couple of other good websites are;

www.garybulla.com

www.zenflyfishing.com

www.pacificextremes.com

Ken Hanley has some very good books out on this subject and there is one that I acquired several years ago about the Mendocino County Coastline that discusses fishing in bays/estuaries/rocky areas, etc. It's paperback sold thru Bookwinkles in Mendocino. The title is, Mendocino County Coastal Fishing & Diving Access Guide, by Rouvaishyana.

If you've surf fished before (conventional gear) there's only one paramount thing to remember. KEEP YOU EYE ON THE SURF at all times.
Safety first. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Good luck :D :D :D