PDA

View Full Version : Adam, camera ????

FHTFYR
02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Adam I've read most of your posts on cameras and reports on the link you posted. I'm looking for a new P&S but dont have deep pockets! Looking for one under $300 Cannon of course. I can only afford one so it needs to be good indoors and out. I dont do alot of editing or enlarging but do fart around with settings. I've found a couple in my price range and was wondering if you could break them down for me, or recommend a totally different one.

All are Cannons:
A630 8mp, ISO 80-800, Ape ???, 4x optical zoom and 1.8 fps
A640 10mp, 80-800, Ape 2.8-4.1, 4x optical zoom and 1.5 fps
A710IS 7 mp, 80-800, Ape2.8-4.6, 6x optical and 1.7 fps

My wife needs P&S and like I said I like to tinker with settings.

I think I may be able to sneek a little more $$ out the door but would like to stay within the limit set by Finance (my wife) so If you think I could get a better one let me know.

Thanks for your time in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd
02-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Walter

See my Canon G1 For sale....personally I think it's a better camera than what you have listed and for less money...this is one of Canon's best....

Todd

Adam Grace
02-23-2007, 09:46 PM
FHTFYR, I totally recommend the new A710IS!

I am looking at buying one of those for myself. I have been thinking about selling my Pentax and buying the new A710IS. It has nice manual features, optical image stabilization, 6x optical zoom, and much more. I love Canon cameras! This is a very exciting new compact point and shoot camera with manual features that I'd love to own.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_a710is.gif

Ed Wahl
02-23-2007, 11:55 PM
For those of us who spend a good chunk of time on slimey boulders over fast water, there are three requirements a camer must have. Waterproof, waterproof, and waterproof. Carrying a standard digital camera makes you so nervous about the inevitable dunking that you only fish half the places you should. So far the disposable waterproof cameras are the only viable option. What's a canyon rat to do? Ed

Adam Grace
02-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Purchase something to protect your camera. Simms makes a nice waterproof pouch with a neck lanyard. Pelican makes multiple hard waterproof plastic cases. Canon also makes waterproof cameras cases specially designed for certain models.

I love the waterproof-ness of my Pentax but I need more control in a camera. The Pentax takes great outdoor pictures but it is less than desirable in low light situations such as indoor situations.

Ed Wahl
02-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Damn Adam, thanks a lot. Had no idea those were out there. I fished with a friend on the Rube last summer and we both carried digi cameras. At the end of the day we got together and decided the hell with this, way too paranoid about unplanned swimming to fish effectively. It ended up with no fish or pics because of that. I know it doesn't seem like such a big deal to a lot of people but 350$ in a vest pocket that can't get wet really puts a damper on my fishing. :cry: Ed

Hairstacker
02-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Man, I hear ya Ed. After dunking my digital in a creek, my wife replaced it for me with another nice one on my birthday. But I was so paranoid about taking it on the water, I ended up buying yet another digital off eBay for $50 (a used Kodak) for fishing purposes. Since this latter one was so cheap, I'm not nearly as paranoid about having it immediately available on the water.

Adam Grace
02-24-2007, 09:49 PM
There are quite a few options for waterproofing your cameras, but they can be bulky and somewhat inconveniencing.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/images/products/main/lu-dtp5_099_main.jpg
This Simms opuch is pretty cool.

http://pelican.com/cases_detail_specs.php?Case=1050
This is a link for one particular Pelican case, chck out the rest of their cases.

http://www.adorama.com/images/Product/ICAWPDC6.JPG
Herea picture of a Canon underwater case for an A710IS camera.

I have not been fishing as much lately due to work and school so my fishing time has been significantly reduced. If I decide to purchase the new Canon A700IS I will put up my Pentax along with all of the extra accessories for sale on this board for another fish bum to enjoy. I will use a Simms protector or similar style protector.

SteelieD
02-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I'll be looking for that camera Adam! I'm very interested in it.

Sorry the fishing time is low now, but it'll pay off. Keep studying!

Adam Grace
02-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Steelie!

FHTFYR, I just re-read your post and you asked for me to break down the differences between those 3 cameras, so here it goes.

All the "A" series cameras will be nice for point and shoot as well as taking full control of the camera - i.e. controlling you aperture, shutter speed, light balance, exposure, ISO, focus range etc.

The A630 is a nice 8mp camera with a 4x optical zoom and a cool 2.5" swivel screen. But it lacks ISO control (which helps in low light shooting) nor does it offer optical image stabilization, both features are very important IMHO.

The A640 is just the 10mp version of the A630, nothing new or fancy.

The A710 IS, my recommendation has a 6x optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilization, a new important addition to the A series. The ISO control is better with this camera at 1600 ISO compared to the 800 ISO of the A630 and A640, not that you want to use the highest ISO but the improved sensor means that the 400 ISO will look better (less noisy) with the A710 than the other two. The A710 IS offers more new technology that will improve the quality of your pictures.

I hope that this helps.

FHTFYR
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Adam Thanks for the info. I'm getting the 710 and one of the simms bags! I'll be watching the tracking number like a hawk. CAN'T WAIT :D

Adam Grace
03-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Walter, I hope that you enjoy that camera. After you have some time to play around with it please post a report about what you think. Enjoy!

Rob
03-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I took a dunking while duck hunting here in Utah.
I rolled my Kayak while sliding off a Island in to the water.
I clipped some ice on one side of my kayak as i entered the water flipping me upside down in 3 feet of water. Thanks to a good pair of waders and a waterproof Jacket the only thing that got wet was my hands and Face. My Digital camera was in my fanny pack ( not water proof )and not a drop of water was on it . Thank you ZIPLOCK bags !!! :wink: :wink:

WinterrunRon
03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm adding my two cents worth because I have some first hand experiences to share that can help save your camera.

1. For cameras larger that a pack of cigarettes, Simms makes a SOFT PADDED WATERPROOF bag for about $30 that I wear on my wader belt. I often wade above my belt without worry and the padding comes in handy when you loose your balance and fall against rocks/trees, etc. Three important features I have found invaluable... SOFT, PADDED, WATERPROOF!

2. You have to be careful with zip lock bags. Good idea, Rob, but be careful. If you place your cold camera in the ziplock bag and it warms later in the day... condensation! Same result as dropping it in your favorite body of water.

Remedy for #2: Don't turn it on. Take out the batteries, memory card and any easily detachable parts. Warm thouroughly over auto defroster. Works like magic... sometimes!

Ron