PDA

View Full Version : The Fly Fishing Show in Pleasanton, CA

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.flyfishingshow.com/images/header/header_logo.gif

http://www.flyfishingshow.com/pleasanton/

February 23-25, 2007 Friday - Sunday

We will be down there visiting friends on Saturday.

This is all fly fishing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-23-2007, 11:41 PM
We will be down there on Saturday.

Should be a good event.

Rick J
02-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I went on Sat and was very disappointed in the venue - I don't think it comes close to the San Rafael site - first there was only one casting pond inside and very few places outside to cast. No place to play with two handed rods. The theaters were separated by curtains and noise carried from one location to the other and with no sound system it was hard to hear the speakers.

I hope they get better at this as to me it was not worth the trip - I have heard they will make improvements for next year.

Bill - I wonder how I missed you and Marco?

Nip Hadlock
02-26-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it's more a question of venue use. :wink:
There are several wide open areas and empty show buildings surrounding the main show. If the show operators used a bit more of the venue, (which no doubt means $$), then the site could provide more quantity and quality of space. :?
I did walk by some guys spey casting on the big lawn near the front entrance. In the rain..in the wind :shock:

Darian
02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I was there on Friday PM. Sunny and little breeze. T-shirt weather. I was able to test drive a Sage Switch Rod on a triangle of grass just to the east of the entrance to the main building.... The people in the Sage booth pointed out the grassy area for me..... :) :) :)

Jay Murakoshi
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
OK, I wasn't going to reply or post to any of these messages but I feel like getting a butt kicking :D

Overall, I thought the show was fantastic. I agree that the seminar area wasn't the best and I'm sure that the problem is being worked on right now. It was tough for Ken and I to tone it down. It was chilly in the building for a while but once the heaters warmed it up things were fine.
All I can say is that most of you don't know what went on behind the scene when the seminar and destination rooms were being setup. Things should be better next year. The main show building was packed on Friday and Saturday. The exhibitors were happy, people spending $$$
Although not alot of casting space, like it's been mentioned, there was space outside.

A comment regarding the $$$ on the San Rafael building.... San Rafael costs alot less than the fairgrounds. For sure the seminar rooms were great and the free parking..... Ahh yeah, free parking. If that's what made the San Rafael show so good then so be it. I see some people have been making comments about the $8.00 parking at the fairgrounds. What about the $7.00 parking at San Mateo. What about the hour or so dirve to San Rafael and the bridge toll to go across the bridge. The traffic at the maze, etc..... Now that the show has come to the Bay area I hope to see more people attend next year. A good possibility that the show will expand into the big vacant building and then this show could be called the Sommerset II West Coast version.

I've read the comments posted here about the venue.... Sure there was an empty building next door but with only a number of exhibitors to fill space, why burn the bucks (would you spend the bucks and go into the red). I'm sure next year that it will be rented due to the number of exhibitors on a waiting list to get into the show and existing vendors wanting more booth space. I'm sure there will be more casting ponds, maybe the theaters will be located in the same buildings just like ISE did when they were at the fairgrouds.
I've been with ISE since '88 and I hate to see the fly fishing venue leave the show but things change, manufactures and shops have cut way back on their budgets and someone is going to feel it in the end.

OK, enough said and maybe not real clear but I have sortof/kinda voiced my opinion..... It's time to let me have it [-X

Jay

Rick J
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Jay - I have quit going to the San Mateo show but have really liked the FF show in the past at San Rafael.

Paying parking kinda sucked but that would not stop me - it does sound like they are looking on how to improve the show and I hope that happens as this is a great event. I hope more vendors show up as I missed much of the fly tying materials that I have found in past years.

I do hope they can accomodate some method to address the 2 handers without the lake and expect a better venue for the theaters as that was really not well thought out. It seems that planning did not start early enough with folks checking out the facilities to deal with some of the issues such as sound systems early on.

Terry Thomas
02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Jay,
Like Rick, I too have made my last trip to San Mateo. I think the Pleasanton Show was a winner. Sure, they need to address the seminar building and also add more casting areas outside for both single and two handers. From Sac. you still have to "pay the toll" so that is not an issue. (If you don't do the Stockton shuffle) I think, in time, the new Pleasanton Show could be even better than the good old days in San Mateo...my 2 cents worth.
Terry

Don Powell
02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
As a seasoned flyfishing show-whore, a show is what you make of it...I enjoyed and learned more at the Pleasanton show than I have at the past two San Rafael venues. The gracious manufacturers, guides, travel services and reps who displayed their wares did so for us- all the guys who choose to further their enjoyment of life through flyfishing. Thank you to The Flyfishing Show organizing staff!

Criticism as above: a body of water is needed beyond 15' wide and 80' long to demo rods...(with two other "competitors" on the platform with you, flailing away simultaneously) Take note somebody, please!!!! Despite claims to the contrary, Spey guys need more room!

Enjoyed seeing old and new acquaintances, friends I fish with every year and friends to be, with whom I probably will fish with every year!

Don

Jay Murakoshi
02-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Rick, Terry, John,

I like hearing response from people just to get a feel on what the show presented and what could be improved.
Casting ponds: A good idea. It gives a potential customer a chance to try out the new products or helps make a decision on which rod is suited for the individual. One of my pet peeves (I guess that's what it's called)
is to watch reps, shop owners, get on the platform and cast and cast and cast and cast. Then the common "joe fly fishers" sits there and I think get imtimidated. One thing I would like to see is a youth casting competition. Get a group of kids to meet a certain time and have the reps, shop people and casting pros take one kid for one hour and teach them how to cast and then bring them back to the pond and see which instructor presented their basic knowledge to each individual. The winner would receive a introduction fly rod and reel kit. Hell, I would even buy the kit.

A question for Dan regarding the casting ponds. Most ponds aren't wider than two wide (except for the outside pond at San Mateo). I would have to say 80' is a good distance. I know most everyone who takes a rod to the cast pond will usually try and shoot it over the curtains. But in reality, 40' to 50' would be an average cast on the stream. Spey rods is a whole different ball game.
I try not to get out there if more than one person is casting. I've been whipped by the line and smacked by a rod. Not worth going through the hassle. One advantage I have is being part of the Fly Fishing show team, we can get in early to set up and I will usually cast a rod then, just like I did this past weekend. I took a rod I found in my closet (5' 3wt 1piece)
and cast it for the first time before giving it away. I put a 4wt line on it and not to brag but laid out about 55' of line.

Like Chuck Furimsky mentioned to the exhibitors on Sunday morning, he still has a waiting list of exhibitors who want to get in. So maybe, just maybe he might expand to the building next door and I'm sure will add more casting space and maybe even do the seminars in the same building. The Pleasanton show could become the West Coast Sommerset show.

Jay

dtp916
02-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I had a blast at the show on Friday, casted a ton of rods and chatted with everyone. I was there from open to close, picking up all the catalogs. By the end of the day I couldn't stop talking about the Scott G2 and Frog Hair Tippet :lol: