PDA

View Full Version : Book by Yvon Chouinard of Patagonia Inc.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2007, 10:57 AM
"Let My People Go Surfing" is an interesting book written by the founder of Patagonia, Yvon Chouinard.

It is about his life history and then his ideas on business.

Not for everyone but it has some good stuff in it.

We don't have them yet but should be in most book stores.

Rick J
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Yvon is one of the most interesting men I have ever met and very unassuming. Dave Schachter who owned Time Flies in Arcata and a friend of his from Southern Calif and I drove up to BC to fish the Skeena system and Bulkley. Dave's friend is a cabinet maker and knew Yvon and constructed furniture for him. Yvon happened to be up there and had just come back from a lodge where they were hooking 10+ steelhead to 20# a day. He spent the next 4 days essentially guiding us showing us his favorite runs.

He said if you hook any more than 1 or 2 steelhead a day that is not true steelheading!! Well we did not do that well but it was a wonderful trip and Yvon told some great stories that had us rolling. Probably the best was a friend of his was down in Australia and his rental vehicle broke down on a very rough dusty road. A big semi truck stopped and picked him up and hooked up the car to the back of his truck and off they went in a cloud of dust. 50 miles or so later they pulled into a small town and got out - the car had flipped and had been dragged on its top for who knows how many miles :D

Dave and I were the only two I saw using single handed rods and that experience got me hooked on two handed rods!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Great story Rick

I was on a special Sage company trip to Christmas Island some years back with many really great people like Yvon and Lefty Kreh.

Lefty and Yvon were planning a trip with CNN Sports to New Guinea to catch "huge" fresh water bass.