PDA

View Full Version : Forest Service Road Closures and Winter Fishing

chemdoc
02-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I was in the El Dorado National Forest yesterday to do a little target practicing with my sons, and realized that many paved forest service roads are gated during the winter. I wonder if they are aware of the new fishing regs on the American and its tributaries and if they will open these gates for the early opener. It would be disappointing to have the waters open and not be able to access them. I am going to give them a call Tuesday to find out.

Phil

Jeff F.
02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I think that the numbers of people who will actually be fishing during the winter will be very low, and doesn't warrant the FS making special accommodations for a few folks. I believe the roads are closed in the wet months to prevent erosion and destruction of the roads themselves.

I hope you post the FS answer when you find out.

.....but you may want to bust out your hiking boots....I got mine ready! :thumbsup:

Shawn M.
02-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I believe they close those roads so they don't have to plow snow for the winter.

chemdoc
02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
I spoke to the FS office yesterday, and unfortunately, they have no plans to open roads early for the new fishing season. The only answer I could get was that they close them for the winter, so no idea when they might open.

Phil

Ed Wahl
02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
The Forest Service and D.F.G. are two separate entities. Fishing seasons really don't play any part in road access. Most of the winter road closures are on unpaved roads for erosion control. A couple of ruts can turn into large erosion channels in one really good storm. The other reason they close many roads in the winter is that people are idiots. They get stuck, they get lost, they just gotta drive off the roads, they cut a bunch of green firewook, they dump a bunch of trash, it goes on and on. You won't get that on the official line, but if you talk to the rangers thats what you'll hear. Jeff F. has it right, put on your hiking boots and pound some ground. :D Ed