PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of questions about motors in rivers...

Ryan
02-17-2007, 04:06 AM
I just bought a 6 horse Nissan for my drift boat... I mainly did it so I can start getting serious about striper fishing... but I figure I'm going to be using it on the Sac for trout... and on the American for everything and anything... and because I've never been in a drift boat with a motor I had a few questions...

What some rules for river edacity? Obviously don't get close to other boats or fisherman... But is it looked down upon to motor behind someone and fish a run you had luck in the first time around... and then later in the day pass them... then if they came close enough to see s you fishing in front of them, would that be considered rude? And if anyone doesn't understand what I'm trying to say, just let me know some general unwritten rules. lol

Will I be able to motor up pretty fast moving water... and if so is it dangerous at all to go up rapids (if I stay away from the rocks) If you would like... examples of specific runs on the American or Sac to do... and not to do would be helpfull... I know most the main runs pretty well along with their names.

Is it hard or technical motoring up rapids or will it be easy once I get the feel of my motor.

In trout water how spooked do trout get from motors... if I want to refish a run... would I have to motor back up way far away from the run... or do I just stay in the same eddy I would have used to row (which is right next to the run). Or would that just be a matter of edicacy?

And last one... What kind of mileage do these things get? I know its a three gallon tank... so how far will that get me? Or about how long can I run it for.

Sorry for all the novice questions... I'm stoked about my motor... I just wanna catch some more fish... be safe about it... know my limitations... and most of all not be that one guy who pisses everyone off! Any responses at all would be greatly appreciated!

sculpin
02-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Ryan
The first things you might want are a prop guard and a planing fin . The best prop guard that most folks boating the Rogue are going to is a shoe that attaches to the fin on the lower unit . cahttp://www.propsavers.com/rrspecs.htmn You can clank along through some shallow water without much damage to the prop. Always be sure the motor is never locked in the down position when on the river or you may have troubles .The older model prop guards that had a circle of metal around the prop scoop up rocks ect which can wedge between the housing and the prop. The planing fin will help keep the back of the boat from just going down and the bow rising when power is added. Depending in the hull design some guys use throttle extensions so they can get more weight forward and even have passengers sit on the bow . When you start using your motor you'll know what I'm talking about .
As far as river etiquette goes some of it you'll kinda have to feel your way along to find out what is customary in the areas you fish . Most of it is common sense stuff like don't motor over the water everyone is fishing and take your turn in the runs ect . I don't mean to step on any toes here but I find a high percentage of folks visiting our area with Calif. stickers on their boats don't have any boating etiquette . :D
Get the feel for how your boat handles first and then take baby steps when running up fast water . If you don't make it up a riffle or something causes you to turn sideways the boat can flip really fast . Be careful , your drift boat isn't a river sled .
The fuel economy of you boat should be pretty good and you should be able to get several trips out of a 3 gallon tank . Good luck and be careful .

Mark

slimfishin's
02-18-2007, 09:55 PM
As a person who has used a gas on the drifter for a while, I would recommend a few things.

First, remember to register your drift boat now that it is a powered boat. Second, don't expect to see any great speeds - drift boats are not meant to be powered with outboard and don't go fast AT ALL. In fact, they are highly inefficient under power, so don't expect to do much more that run back up a run. Running up a rapid is out of the question. You will likely not have the power, and the boat won't draft shallow enough.

You will also notice the boat will ride weird - the more power, the more bow lift, the deeper the stern will ride - hence the recommendation for a planing fin on the motor.

A three gallon tank should get you through most days fishing for trout - depending on how much motoring you do, but it should last a day in normal fishing.

Understand that the added weight in the back will affect how the boat will row, and you may want to consider a longer gas line to be able to position the tank in the best spot.

Since you now have a motor, be courteous to other anglers. If you pass them on the way down, give them the next hole and let them have it - it will give you a buffer so that you are not constantly passing them all the time. After all, you still may see them at the take out. Give fisherman a wide berth when you pass them, as you would like other power boaters to give you while you are fishing. Do all those things you hate that other boaters don't do. If you get hit with an empty beer bottle, you probably should reconsider your etiquette.

Trout don't seem to spook too much with the motor - just look at all those jet boat guides that run up the river, and fish their clients while at idle... and they catch tons of fish - trust me, I've watched it and done it.

The prop guard is also highly recommended. It will extend the life of your prop. You will make some mistakes, but experience will help answer most of your questions.

Good luck out there and have fun.

salmonstriper
12-26-2008, 06:55 PM
A motor on the back of a drift boat is nice if you fish the main eel. Other than that its alot of extra weight and a pain in the rear to always worry about if it is tied down good enough during transportation and the fuel tank seems to always be in the way etc. A 50 pound thrust minn kota works pretty darn well on drift boats.

flycaster5
12-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Good suggestions all. I started using my 6HP Johnson on my Clacka 15LP on larger lakes and a couple rivers (Lower Sac, Lower A). A few things I learned the hard way: 1) running up rapids does not work. 2) the above suggestion to give people you're passing the next hole/creating some distance is very good advice. 3) rowing back up to fish a slot again is almost preferable to motoring in many cases, especially in smaller water or nice back eddies that help the rowing effort. 4) if you're motoring down stream, be sure to give yourself enough time to cut the motor and get back in the rower's seat before you drop into the next rapid. 5) I haven't tried the planing thingamajob, but can tell you that having another person (or an obedient dog) in the boat willing to shift weight forward and back is extremely hepful. 6) three gallons will last a hideously long time. and 7) having a motor is really really nice in some cases; specifically motoring through long stretches of frog water, and on 'getaway' days. i.e., you can fish a full day's run in a half day and just hit the best spots on the last day of a trip when you're trying to get on the road early to get home.

dave earl
12-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I use a 2hp gas motor on my pontoon boat. Your motor will probably only have about the same or a bit more power as full on rowing so I think its better to row upstream and use the eddys so its quieter for people and fish. My main use is "jetting" through long frog water especially as it get closer to dark. It's also nice to be able to go straight ahead and watch where your going. you can only go up rapids with a jet boat with a huge motor and its pretty obnoxious
have fun, be safe

Charlie Bisharat
02-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Ryan,

Now that you have a motor, you might want to check into a captains liscense. I believe a 6 pack liscense is required when a motor is installed on any boat in any type of water, navigable river for sure.Check it out and be really careful.

Cheers Chas

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-13-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.propsavers.com/

We use to sell these at the shop.

heublein
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Your not going to need a OUPV captain's license unless you're guiding out of a power boat. If you're guiding out of a drift boat with a gas kicker, I would double check with the Coast Guard on the requirements. That said, I highly, highly doubt most of the guides who run drift boats with kickers and don't also run power boats have captain's licenses, even if technically it's required.