PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Calaveras River/ Putah Report

dtp916
02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm looking to fish Calaveras River below New Hogan Lake. I've heard that it has tough access - I hope that means better fishing. :D Any advice, flies, patterns would be helpful and very appreciated. Otherwise I'm probably going to be drifting small nymphs under an indicator all day. 8) Should I take 99 to Stockton and cut over or go thru Hwy 12 in Valley Springs?

And Putah was pathetic today. They finally raised the flows a couple day ago and I thought it would help the fishing.....wrong. I talked to several guys and no one was catching anything. Water is clear/cold, tons of bugs (small light-colored mayfly nymphs - 20-24, green rockworm caddis larva - 14-20, little yellow stone nymphs 16-18, baetis of course...) tried everything in my box at all my favorite spots and ended up skunked :? :? :? Damn you Putah! :lol:

dtp916
02-17-2007, 03:51 PM
77 views and no one knows anything about the Calaveras!? :shock:

Darian
02-17-2007, 06:39 PM
You might not get a bunch of posts about the Calaveras from this crowd until later in the season.... Hope this doesn't sound disrespectful, there's quite a few potential reasons for that. 8)

The first might be that it's a long way for another foothill/valley river. (got several closer)

Second, Could be nobody here knows anything about fishing in the Calaveras below New Hogan. (It's not something I would consider going that far to try unless I had specific info that a hot bight was going on before I went.)

I'm sure we have members who know something about what's happening down there but It might be better to post your question on one of the BB's closer to that area.... :? :? :? Just a thought. 8) 8)

bigtj
02-18-2007, 11:06 PM
DTP,

Maybe folks guard their calaveras secrets closely? If it is what you think it is, then maybe it isn't a surprise that folks don't want to spill the beans on it, and that a lot of people looked on to look at your report.

It doesn't always pay to put a whole lot of stock on reports from the internet, anyway (the old..."you should have been here yesterday" deal). Take some time to go up there and do some scouting, regardless of whether you know the water or not. Being able to "redpoint" (i.e. take on and succeed first try) a new fishery with little or no knowledge of the area besides a map, gauge flows, a hunch, and knowing how to catch trout is the best way ever to become a better fly fisherman.

mike N
02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
I caught a 16" trout on the C about 15 years ago, it had a rat tail sticking out of its mouth. That was the last time I fished the C and this is the first time I read your post.

I don't remember where we accessed the river, but it seems like it was well below the dam on the north side of the river. I have only fished the C three times, it seemed like Putah only smaller and with less access.

MN

windknot
02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
One of my buddies fished the Calaveras a couple weekends ago and he said there was fast action for rainbows up to 13". From what I know about the fishery that's about the norm: small fish but plenty of them. Not sure where he pulled in though. Hope this helps.

dtp916
02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the PM's guys 8)

Paul B.
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Don't know about the Calaveras but I was at Putah today. Slow. I managed to land the only solid hits I got. One 17" and another 15". Flows were still quite low. Cheers, Paul