PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for San Diego?

Alastair
02-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey everyone, I am going to be in San Diego at the end of July and I have no clue where to go to do a little fishing. I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to go. I will be attending the Comic Con event but you can only take so much of that, so I made a deal with my wife and kid, I'll go for one day if I can go fishing for a couple of days. :D Thanks!

DonCooksey
02-17-2007, 05:22 PM
If you are interested in surf fishing in San Diego, hitting the beaches for corbina is good in July. Torrey Pines State Beach is one of the easiest to access. You can park right by the road and fish a lot of beach area north and south. Fishing parts of San Diego Bay by float tube or by boat is also popular throughout the year. There are some good fly shops in the area, including Andy Montana's on Coronado Island (another great place to surf fish). A 6-wt rod with fast sinking line is great for the surf in San Diego.

There are lots of lakes in the area also. In July, it will probably be too late for trout, except at Lake Cuyamaca, up near Julian. They started stocking Alpers trout there this year. There is also a lot of bass fishing in the San Diego area lakes. You can find a lot of information at a web site called sdfish.com, including a fly fishing forum.

Todd
02-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Alastair

I fish San Diego frequently. My daughter goes to SDSU. We stay in Mission Bay, and I rent a skiff from Seaforth Rentals ($45) for 4 hours...(bay fishing only for this skiff). Fishing Mission Bay is fun, lots of sand bass, some Halibut. July is generally very good.

200 yards from skiff launch is a bait barge (75yd long dock) The bait guys get their bait on one side of the dock, and I dead drift the other side and almost always hook a Bonito on each drift. I allow about 30-45 minutes on my return from fishing the bay for this outstanding fishing....sometimes I start there. Some don't get beyond the bait barge! The bonito are like catching bone fish. I use a 6wt Sage Xi2 with 300 gr sink tip running line, using Clousers.

For me this is works...I'm not a fan of surf fishing, nor paying big dollars for guided off-shore fishing. Last July they were getting Yellow tail 15-20 mi off-shore...check with Seaforth for their rental boat to get there...

If you go to http://www.frankomaps.com you can but a waterproof map of Mission Bay for $5...it's well done and shows best fishing spots and what fish might be there. You can also rent a skiff from Seaforth at San Diego Bay.

Best to check out Stroud's Tackle in San Diego...two old timers who know the area well.........

I'll be there last week of March...hopefully El Nino has kept water warm?

Good luck...San Diego is very nice.