PDA

View Full Version : Message Board Archival....

Darian
02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
OK guys,..... The recent incidence of erroneous deletions highlighted the lack of archival of messages function in the boards software. :( :( Under the Saltwater Forum, Someone is Missing thread, myflzdown was deleted, along with all of the valuable info posted by this member under all Forums on the board. :( :( :(

There has been an increased interest expressed by members of this board in learning to fish the "suds". The information about fly fishing in the surf posted by myflyzdown was very valuable in meeting that need. If archival functions were implemented, the loss of info posted would not have occurred.

Of course, archiving info could take many different forms but, hopefully, would be available for call-up, on-line. 8) 8) Recognizing that implementation of archival functions would involve increased cost of operations for Bill, maybe we could nudge him to looking into this and accepting his decision..... What do you guys think :?: :?: :?: :?:

Gregg Machel
02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Just a quick note, I made a reply explaining the spammers more here, don't want to duplicate the post, so here is where it is:
http://kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5252&highlight=

Darian
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm,.... Not sure I was interested in the spammer post as much as exploring the use of some form of off-line archival that could be retrieved when necessary.... 8) 8) Seems like when a members name is deleted, all of his/her psosts are deleted, as well.... :? :? Maybe it (software) could be changed by seperating the delete function to eleminate the name, only, with the posts as discretaionary.... 8) 8) 8) Just a thought :) :)

Matt Frey
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Gregg said
"I suppose it is "possible" to get his posts back, I only deleted the usernames, not any actual messages"

So it looks like it is possible. I think it is a lot of work though.

Gregg, you do a great job! Thanks!

Darian
02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Carl,.... With respect, a suggestion is just a suggestion not a mandate. Nothing I suggested requires anything of Bill or his staff unless they choose to do it.... 8) 8) 8)

Darian
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Hmmmm,...After re-reading what I wrote, I guess I wasn't clear that was asking for thoughts about archival, only.... :( :( Sorry Carl, I owe you an apology. :) :) :)

Gregg Machel
02-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not worried about it, I welcome any feedback at all on how this site is run. You can send me a private message too if you like. If we do not get feedback from the community it would be tough to make it better.

I cannot guarantee that everyone's ideas will be used, but the feedback is great!

A little "tech" talk here now: The database used is a relational database and as a result the usernames and account information are seperate from the actual message. Long ago they used what is called a flat file database, where when a record was deleted, everything went with it. Now we seperate the logical parts of data (called normalization) and have many different tables in the database structure.

Darian
02-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Your explanation of the differences between the two DB's sounds just like what I recall.

So, with that in mind, I'm assumming that your provider is running a flat file DB as when a members name is deleted, all of his/her posts are deleted. 8) 8) I'm also, assumming that off-line archival of, say, all posts of a member could be enabled using a relational DB. Whereas, all of the records for a member would be more easily archived under a flat file. 8) 8) (Just thinking out loud here :roll: )

If I recall correctly, retrieval of archived info is less costly using a relational
DB system....

So, I guess what I'm concluding is that archival may be too many obstacles to this change for this BB.... Oh well.... Still a great BB :) :)

OregonSalmon
02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
What the hell is an "archrival" and a "flat file" and a "database"??? Sounds like code words for a drug deal to me. I'm telling Bill on you guys.

-"Sometimes money trumps peace". George W. Bush 2/16/2007

Darian
02-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Hey Galen,.... Archival is what they do to you when you "cross over". :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: