PDA

View Full Version : Saving the Yuba

Tony Buzolich
02-14-2007, 09:39 AM
At last nights meeting of the E.C.Powell Fly Fishers we had speaker Norm Saur give a presentation on saving and preserving the Yuba .

The area of most concern is above the Hwy.20 bridge up to Engelbright dam. This area is soon to be developed into home sites leading to more general public access. This in tern will lead to more deteriation by those who use and abuse the more easily accessible area now.

What Norm has started is called the Yuba River Preservation Foundation. This foundation's goal is acquire more of the private properties already there and make this area in to something like the Nature Conservancy on the Pit River. By doing this it would permit limited public access by reservation and first come first served to 10 people per day, jst like on the Pit.

The Yuba River is the only river in the central valley that has NO hatchery and all of the spawning salmon, steelhead, and trout are thus native. Trying to keep and preserve this as natural as possible is quite an undertaking and Norm Saur should be commended and supported in his efforts.

For more information the foundation or Norm can be reached at (530) 870-1733 or at www.YubaRiverPreservation.org

Normally I don't get too involved in things like this and I'm definitely not one of those "Tree Hugger" types, but I've seen what the group has done about Saving the American River and this goes right along those lines. It's a good cause and worth saving. And with as much activity as our board gives the Yuba it would seem logical to try and save something that we might all enjoy more later down the road.
TONY

davkrat
02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
The link is dead. Searching for the foundation didn't get me anywhere either?