PDA

View Full Version : Help please. How to treat old tying materials?

bluegill
02-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the board (and new to fly tying as well). 

I bought some furs and feathers from someone who no longer ties. The materials seemed old and gave out bad odor. The odor might have come from cigarette smoke or perhaps the materials were just too old. It was so bad that I had to place them in a box and put a lit over it.

Any idea on how to treat the materials and get rid of the smell?

Thanks for your help.
-bluegill

Darian
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure from your description what to think about the condition of those materials.... If there is a stench (as in rotting flesh), it could mean that the materials were not prepared correctly.... If that's the case, they will continue to smell until all of the rotting parts are removed and the remaining flesh is dried out. :( :( :(

On the other hand, if there's some other source of the smell, you could place the materials in large zip-lock bags and store 'em in a locker, outside.

The only time I encountered anything like that was when I acquired some elk hock from a hunter who didn't skin/remove all of the fat for drying. I tried a number of different remedies but, finally, had to throw it out. :? :? Last year I bought some magnum Zonker Strips that, apparently were part of a females rabbit skin jacket. It smelled so perfumy that I had to throw it out, as well..... :( :(

I guess what I'm saying is that if the materials stink so bad that you can't stand it, it may be better to throw it out.... It's very difficult to remove all odors from fly tying materials. 8) 8) 8)

bluegill
02-12-2007, 11:23 PM
The materials seem to be still in good shape. They were packaged by Metz and others namely brand so I trust they were prepared correctly.

They don't smell like rotten animal skins. The only problem I have with them is that if you were to leave them out of their ziplock bags in a room for a night, the room would smell like someone had stayed and smoked cartons of cigarette in it.

My wife and young boys frown upon the smell and my boys refused to tying anything with them. :roll:

I've been thinking of washing and then drying them out in the sun. I affraid of making them worse. What about mothballs?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Some materials have a smell because they are dead animals.

Another smell in "moth balls".

If you have them all separated in zip-lock bags it will keep them safer.

Look for the empty "shucks" from bugs in the natural materials like furs and feathers.

Some put materials in a freezer for a while to kill lava and eggs.

Some will wash the furs and feathers in warm water and mild soap then let dry completely.

You might bring it by a fly shop and let someone look it over and smell it.

bluegill
02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Will try to wash a few with warm water + soap and let them hang dry.

Thanks Bill

Hairstacker
02-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Bluegill, welcome aboard!! Don't know the answer to your question but wish you good luck.

bluegill
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks.

bluegill
02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I tried various techniques.

The best is to hang them high for a day or two out in the wind piece by piece (and yes, over night). That's it.

Whatever you do, don't get them wet. You would loose the chemical used to keep them dry. And they stinks when wet, especially the feathers.

That's it folks. Happy tying.