PDA

View Full Version : boat dollies

Ed Wahl
02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm wondering what kind of dollies are in use out there for moving a pram over a little distance. I've seen the ones on e-bay that clamp onto the transom, but the wheels look a little cheesy. Anyone got anything better than that? Ed

Randy B
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
I've got a 10' pram and use the wheels that mount to the outside of the transom. They work great and you just have two pieces of aluminum channel stock mounted to the transom. The ones I have have inflatable tires that roll over just about anything and make it very manuverable.

Darian
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Ed,..... I've been using a dollie that clamps onto the transom of an 8' pram (weight approx. 85 lbs.) for around 30 years without no problems moving it from the wheels. 8) 8)

The major issue I've had with this dollie is that it is constructed so that the wheels are turned up with the dollie attached and the boat is upright. As a result, when you reach the point where you want to launch, you must turn the pram over, first. :? :? Also, the dollie must be removed before you begin fishing if you don't want to have something around to tangle your line..... :? :? Now, after you've been out fishing/rowing all day, when you return to the take out point, you have to repeat the launching process in reverse. :( :(

SOooooo,.... If I had my druthers, I would have a removable dollie that attaches to the transom but keeps the boat in an upright position while moving it. 8) 8) Of course, nobody makes one of those. :( My second choice is the set-up mentioned by Randy B. 8) 8)

Ed Wahl
02-12-2007, 06:02 PM
They should give out awards for cheapness. After doing some research on the 'net it occured to me that a lot of these dollies are way over engineered. The one I saw in the Koffler web site got me to thinking. Simple design, slides under the boat, doesn't really have to be beautifully welded aluminum daimond plate. Slapped a prototype together in about an hour this afternoon. Still got some refinements to make, and have to replace the wood screws with bolts and that'll be it. Dudes, it's a 2x6 with 5" rubber casters on the bottom and a couple of eye bolts for a ratchet strap. I pushed it all around my soggy front yard a little while ago, I think it'll work out fine. It's a little big to toss in the boat, but it can be downsized easy enough if I have to. It turns the boat into a big wheelbarrow for all my stuff too. By the way, there's a Koffler pram for sale on Craigs List, and it's quite a deal. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
http://www.eideboatloader.com/pop_up/BoatWheel/Images/beach-master.jpg

I have the ones on the right fron Eide

http://www.eideboatloader.com/default.htm

Ed Wahl
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I could've mounted some aluminum channel on the back of my boat, but I'm pretty sure Carl would've made a special trip up here just to slap me, and I would have deserved it. 8) Just using the K.I.S.S. method. Ed