PDA

View Full Version : We deleted a couple of board members accidentally

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2007, 12:50 AM
One of my web guys Gregg Machel told me that we have "spammers" signing up on our message board members list.

He recently removed about 800 people.

In doing that I believe he accidental deleted some of our good guys.

I know that Bluegrass Bill got inadvertently deleted.

Email me if you have any problems here.

billkiene@kiene.com

Hairstacker
02-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Geez Bill, for a moment there you had me thinking a couple of the fellas bit the big one. :shock: Sure glad it wasn't that! :)

davkrat
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Hairstacker,
You're telling me. I was one of the ones that got deleted. I thought I was banned for something silly! Thank god it was an accident :o

Gregg Machel
02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
My apologies for removing the good people. To make a long story short, the board has been targeted by spammers that create accounts here trying to generate traffic and search ratings. In order to combat this, I go directly into the database and delete them in bulk by browsing through the usernames. After a couple hundred, this was getting very tedious and I must have gotten a little sloppy. In the future I will be more careful. Again, my apologies! :(

Bluegrass Bill
02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Folks,

I am back as well :) . No problem Gregg, you have quite the job in keeping this large a group of folks honest board members who just love fishing and sharing information on it.

Hope to have some positive fishing stories to share in the next month or so. Best wishes to all!

Bill

David Lee
02-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the board Bill !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David :D

Katz
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe Gregg can "pad" Bluegrass Bill's post totals to get him back up where he was before.

I would hate to see David, Darian, Hairstacker or some other 1000+ poster be back to "0" :cry:

Katz

Gregg Machel
02-08-2007, 12:34 AM
I do have that ability. Thought about changing mine to 1 million! :) To anyone that got caught in this latest round of account removals, let me know if you want me to "up" your numbers a bit.

Hairstacker
02-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Gregg, it seems we lost one of our very best posters, "Myflyzdown." He has been posting fantastic saltwater beach reports, including many pictures and diagrams of rigging methodologies. Is it possible to bring him and his posts back?

A BIG thank you, by the way, for keeping this place so clean! :D

OregonSalmon
02-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Gregg,
I think the smoking gun to proving that this was an accident is that I was not the first to go.

Gregg Machel
02-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Mr. OregonSalmon
It would be a huge tragedy if your posts were lost! Some of the most "interesting" reading here, always sure to bring a smile or "smirk" to everyone's faces.

Not to say loosing anyone else's posts were not a tragedy as well, but I think we all can agree that your posts are "one of a kind". :)

Gregg Machel
02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Just a quick note, I made a reply explaining the spammers more here, don't want to duplicate the post, so here is where it is:
http://kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5252&highlight=

Hairstacker
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
It would be a huge tragedy if your posts were lost! Some of the most "interesting" reading here, always sure to bring a smile or "smirk" to everyone's faces.

I couldn't agree more. Like having our own resident Patrick F. McManus. :lol: This board is hugely richer for it.

Mr. Noodle Rod
02-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Bill, Gregg & others,

I re-signed on the board last night & posted a quick blurb on the saltwater forum - thanks again to everybody for their great encouragement (I again apologize for being slow to respond after experiencing some computer problems of my own). I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion or consternation with others on the board. I figured the new handle may perhaps help in distinguishing my account from the spammers & other cyberhacks attacking the site. Anyway, I figured I'd try "Mr. Noodle Rod" for a change & see how it goes. I think many of you remember an earlier topic I posted some time ago regarding lightweight fly fishing & can associate with the handle... :D

Keep up the great work! This is really a terrific site for the greater fly fishing community.

- Mark
(aka "Myflyzdown")

http://home.att.net/~pile.perch/Jun29-06/062906im-8.jpg

Matt Frey
02-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Good to see you back Mark!