PDA

View Full Version : Reel advice

scotte
02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Does anybody have anything positive/negative to say about Ross Rhythm or Galvin Open Back?

bigtj
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
The Galvan OB's are really good reels. Made here in California by some really nice folks. Both the Ross and Galvan are good reels you can't go wrong.

dtp916
02-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I know a lot of people love the Galvan OB, A LOT. Main thing i learned about reels when i bought my current reel, was the amount of tension (smoothness I guess you could say) it generates for the fish to pull the line out. Smoother is the best. There are some Abel reels that take an initial extra "pull" before the line comes out smoothly. My uncle had a Ross and he liked it, but i can't say he really put it to good use...Before picking out a reel, look at a few different models and companies, see which one you like the best 8)

Adam Grace
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I like Galvan reels, they are a NorCal company, the owners are very nice people, and the most of all they make pretty solid reels.

That said, I prefer the lighter Ross reels! I like the new drag systems in the Ross reels over Galvans. The drag setting is much more adjustable in smaller increments which allows me to custiumize my drag setting for trout much more to my liking. Unfortunately I'm not always catching huge trout, but I want a drag that a smaller 14" trout can still pull line off the reel without the drag over rotating resulting in a mess of line.

I have owned a few Galvan reels, I liked my OB (open back) reel better than my torque. My torque drag is not nearly as smooth as my Waterworks reels.

Theres my 2 cents. I hope you enjoy what ever reel you decide to purcahse.

PatrickM
02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Scotte,
I have one rythym and two OBs and I dig them both. I'm not that technical when it comes to reels though. I just want something that has a decent drag, stands up to being bashed around on rocks, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Both these reels fit the bill for me, and I don't think you can go wrong which ever you decide on.
One thing I've noticed is that the OB is a bit quieter when line is being pulled off, and the rythym makes a slightly more pronounced clicking noise. Don't know which is better, just an observation.
I'd suggest checking them out in a shop if you haven't already. Play around with them a bit. See which one feels, sounds, and looks better to you. Then buy which ever one you like the best, take it home, and hide it so that your wife doesn't find out you've just bought another piece of fishing gear! :twisted:

Digger
02-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Adam,
good to have you back.
will you be sticking around for a while?

I'm interested in your comment about Waterworks.
What model do you have?

scotte
02-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I am leaning heavily towards the Ross as I currently have a Ross G3 and have been happy with it. I picked up a new rod and want a new reel and 2 extra spools for it. I guess it's time to wait until the Pleasanton show to see what the fly shops will be offering.

Adam Grace
02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I still do not have any internet access at my new apartment, but I check out the internet from time to time. I hope to be permanently attached within the next week or two.

I own three waterworks reels: the ULA Force #3 with multiple spools, another ULA Force Saltwater #3.5, and the Velocity #3.5 both 3.5's are for for my spey rod, the Force reel has a much stronger drag.

My sw force reel has a much stronger and smoother drag than my Galvan #10 torque reel.

Digger, what questions do you have for me?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
The Ross 'Rhythm' (and Evolution) and Galvan 'Open-Back' have great light to medium drag setting for anything up to a 6 or maybe 7 weight rod.

The largest 'Rhythm' and 'Evolution', the 3.5, don't have enough drag for an 8 weight or larger rod.

Either does an 'OB' so we only carry them up to an OB4.

They are all top choices for trout rods with silky smooth drags.

__________________________________________________ _________

In the Galvan reel line we would recommend a 'Torque' or 'Rush' series for 8 weight and larger rods.

In the Ross reel line we would recommend a new ' Momentum' series for 8 weight rods and larger.