PDA

View Full Version : help on the lower yuba

slipjoint
02-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Could use a little help on the Lower Yuba – I went out today in my Jeep – I was towing a trailer with my quad on it – most of the traffic on the non-maintained goldfield road is by ORV owners – and by the 2 or 3 families who live on that road – today I ask allot of the quad guys & bike guys to help out keeping this area clean – I filled up 3 large plastic bags of debris – then on the way out I ran onto an old couple she was 70 & he was 75 – they live on the road – they had a trailer full of junk that they had picked up as well as 3 large water tanks that someone had tossed out – I helped then load the tanks – we also ask 4 different vehicles if they would mind helping lift the tanks – 2 of the vehicles didn’t have the time to help – they were headed back to the bridge to fish – one guy who I had seen fly fishing earlier in the day – slowed down – he was in a very nice extended cab truck but didn’t roll down his window or stop to see if we needed help even though we waved to him – the 4th truck had 2 guys in it – one of them did get out to help load the tanks – it sure would help the local’s if folks would help pack out a little extra every time they fish the lower Yuba

I also noticed a whole lot of folks trespassing – driving they vehicles right pass no trespassing signs to get to the water – I know it wasn’t anyone on this forum because folks here believe the law is the law “period” – for those who don’t know – this area is patrolled my a private company – when they see trespassers they radio into Yuba County & a cop car will respond – there was at least 12 cars trespassing today when I was there – only 2 cars parked at the bridge – I wish the state would buy the whole 10,000 acres & make a park for all of us to enjoy but I’m sure that’s not in the cards – tom

Darian
02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Tom,.... A large portion of the area around the Yuba Gold Fields is owned by the BLM (Feds) and closed to public entry. :( There is a portion of the BLM land that is open to the public but nowhere near the amount that is closed. :? :?

Not sure why that's the case but....

It's good to hear that you're helping clean up the crap dumped on or near the roads along the Yuba. The only place I've seen worse than there is the Oroville Wildlife Area.... :( :( :(

slipjoint
02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi Tom,.... A large portion of the area around the Yuba Gold Fields is owned by the BLM (Feds) and closed to public entry. :( There is a portion of the BLM land that is open to the public but nowhere near the amount that is closed. :? :?

Not sure why that's the case but....

It's good to hear that you're helping clean up the crap dumped on or near the roads along the Yuba. The only place I've seen worse than there is the Oroville Wildlife Area.... :( :( :(
out of the 10,000 acres there is only 25 acres open to the public - i spent much of teenage years in the goldfields hunting & fishing - new every squire inch at one time - what the feds don't own a investment group owns - thats the yellow signs you see everywhere - i don't know if the private patrol is paid by Westerb Agg or the investment group? - i can tell you Western Agg is the bad guy's - all they care about is raping the land of it's gravel - we have to put up with hundreds of 18 wheel gravel trucks speeding and spilling gravel on our roads everyday - progress i guess?

bonneville54
02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
First....Kudos to you Tom for pitching in. Usually when I'm there I do some picking up, but not nearly enough to make a difference. Shame on me.

Second...Just what is the "no trespassing policy" I've been told that the one can access the river and that the no trespassing signs were only there to protect landowners from lawsuits....sounded odd, but that is what a "Ranger" told me. Can one only park at the bridge and walk along the stream? Can one only park along the road and not drive close to the river?

As much as I like motorcycles and quads, I feel sorry for the folks who live along the road, the noise must be incredible, let alone the trash. In addition, I often see the paintball crowd using that old structure for fun and games.

Without giving up any super-secret fishing holes, does anyone know the where one can legally access the river, what portions of the BLM land is legal, etc? Many, many times I see people camping there...BTW, I was stopped by the Sheriff once, but he only asked if I had seen some motorcyclists. "Which one's?", I replied. He said they had received a complaint and were responding.

Again, thanks for the post....I'm bringing trash bags next time (big ones)

John

slipjoint
02-05-2007, 09:16 AM
all the vehicles you see parked on the river are trespassing - the whole area is posted - will you get a ticket for driving to the river? you might - do i trespass - yep - i unload my quad at the ORV park - i ride back into the river to fish - at some point i'm trespassing - i don't know where - there isn't any markers or signs back in there & if there were i'm sure they would be removed - as far as the people living in the area - their biggest complaint is all the deer have moved out of the area - the trash left behind and the condition the road is in - none of the one's i have spoken to said anything about the noise but your righ it is a issue also there is a dust problem - at least there was yesterday - we need rain! - lots of young guy's on here - maybe one of you young guys could start a battle with the BLM to give the "people" more access to the river -