PDA

View Full Version : Mendocino County Surf

notyalc
02-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I was wondering how the surf fishing is along the Mendocino coast right now? If anyone has any reports or knows the area, I would like to hear from you. I have never fished in the surf, but I am going to be spending sometime in the area doing research on the coastal wetlands. I figured it would be a great time to try a new asspect of fly fishing.

PaulC
02-02-2007, 09:38 PM
There's always the potential for perch given the tides. Just find a spot without too much of a steep shore break and you're golden. I've done okay on a few spots in and out of the garcia area.
Not a local, so basically just driving by looking for structure and giving it a shot.
We were basically hitting every protected cove back towards the bay area. Some produced, some didnt' but it was fun. Explore a little bit when you're out there and you should have fun.
Key is line contact...if you have your line washing up next to you, you're missing fish. Go with a more stout setup, heavier grain line, time your casts between sets, etc.
Perch will eat anything so what you are throwing is pretty much size...thats it. Anything from 8-2 size bugs depending on the size of the perch in the school. Movement helps, but they've been known to hit cigarette butts on a hook if you're in a pinch.
Good luck!
-Paul

Darian
02-02-2007, 10:19 PM
notyalc,.... I don't have much to add to Paul's info except recommending you pick up a book from Bullwinkles book shop in Mendocino titled, "Mendocino County Coastal Fishing & Diving Access Guide" by Rouvaishyana. It's small paprback with info for fishing the rock/surf from the Sinkyone to Gualala. 8) 8)

For current info about how the fishing is, you might want to call the Western Sports Shop in Santa Rosa or King's News in Guerneville. If there's a bait shop in Fort Bragg, that would be ideal.... :) :)

Good luck :D :D :D