PDA

View Full Version : This Spring could be scary wild?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
We have had some very nasty winters in the past few years which really screwed us out of our Spring fly fishing for the most part in Nor Cal.

Most of the lakes, ponds, streams, rivers and the Delta where high, dirty and cold through the Spring.

This Spring, unless we have some freak storms in February, will be wonderful.

Bass and panfish will be getting active in April in all the ponds, reservoirs and the Delta.

Stripers will be active in the Delta in March and then will start up the Sacramento River to spawn in April/May near Colusa.

On our Valley streams and river the caddis and baby salmon will be eaten by the Spring run Halfpounder Steelhead and resident trout.

With this low water you want to be fishing the Lower Sac, Lower Feather, Lower Yuba, Lower American and others in March, April and May.

Trout lakes will start sooner too.

Shad will be better because the Valley rivers might not be so darn high.

What will happen this Spring is that you will have dozen of places to fish and actually have to choose between them......wonderful.

bigtj
02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Bill,

I am feeling exactly the same way. After fishing the McCloud opener at 3,000 cfs last year I'm ready for a dry winter. And I don't even feel guilty yet because we have so much water in storage. Who knows though, we could be in for a repeat of the 91 "Miracle March" and get back to "normal" precip wise we'll see.

OregonSalmon
02-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Dammit Kiene, are you once again getting the boys hopes up again just to watch them beaten down like a small yapping dog? Shame on you Bill Kiene!!! The fellas and felletias look to you for wisdom and not wild prognostications of fishability. Don't get their dreams up, rather get them down, thus if things don't pan out in your world of chocolate boats and flowers they will be just fine. And if things do work out as you predict, you will be on a chocolate balcony tossing flowers to the masses. Learn the tactic of the weathermen in the Great Northwest: predict rain each day, and if you are wrong, people love you. They may be a might pissed off they lugged an umbrella all day, but what the hell.

Remember, go negative and be positive...or is it be positive and go negative...or is it be negativily positive that something will either go negative or positive? ? Is the red cable negative or positive? No wonder they don't let me jump start cars anymore.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-03-2007, 12:53 PM
"Geller?
Did I tell you about this new secret really hot lake.....Indian Valley Reservoir? It's only about an hours from Sacramento?" circa 1985?

(Geller hates it when I indiscriminately put question marks everywhere in my text?)

Wednesday Caster
02-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Man, I'm not that young but the wisdom from you elders are making me crack-up. LOL :lol:
Thanks!

OregonSalmon
02-04-2007, 07:25 PM
That's it Kiene!!! I'm headed to Sacramento to give you and your canopy an asswhoppin'!!! Actually I deserved that Indian Valley wild goose chase since your story was based on a report from duck hunters who just happened to have their midge rods handy. Yep, if I'm leaving the house with my decoys and twelve gauge I'm always gonna toss in the Orvis bamboo three weight.

Back in the day Kiene I was your eskimo and you could sell me ice cubes. I was just your catfish; I'd swallow anything you fed me. The only place you sent me that was any good was the Pit and that damn near killed me everytime I went!!! O.K., in fairness, there might have been a couple of other nuggets. Maybe.

Now when you get up 'har to Oregon you can be my ball of yarn. I'll have you on an island at the mouth of the Columbia fly fishing for summer run steelhead....in the wintertime!!! Portugese women, elephants and Irishmen never forget but the former two get real mean when drunk. Your wisdom for the day Wednesday: never go drinking with an elephant. Huge bar tab then the critter levels the town. Oh, and never trust a story that includes three weight Orvis bamboo rods and shotguns. Had to learn that one the hard way.

Ed Wahl
02-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Don't listen to him Bill. I grew up in and around Chicago, been a Cub's fan all my life. Heartbreak like what you're setting us up for is near and dear to my heart. Season's nowhere near to being close and we could be contenders, I mean the water levels and temp could be half way pleasant! Been a dry January so very few mosquitos, our pitching staff is so good we'll go to the Series for sure! Oh Yeah! Bring it on! More! More!

OregonSalmon
02-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Ed, Ed, Ed,

Da' Bears couldn't git' er' done and now you are banking on the Cubs and fishing tips from Kiene? You might be headed to jumping off the Astoria/Megler bridge before I do though my date is near: Valentines Day, a good Chicago holiday. That is the date of the last Al Franken show on Air America. The second coming of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. If on that day Al announces he will be running for Senate I will put off my demise thus keeping a resource alive that could lead to a very large bright salmon on the very end of your line. That is something your St. Bill can't promise....nor your St. Cubs.....or Da St. Bears

"Where in the hell do all these cans come from???!!!- Galen Geller

lee s.
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Can't wait for ice-out Pike......Lake Davis is not NEARLY as far as Wigness Lake. :lol:
.....lee s.