PDA

View Full Version : Driest January in many years

WinterrunRon
01-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Heard our .07" of a single day of rain in January set a record going back thousands of years.

Man, this state is too much. If it's not flooding, it's a drought, if it's not earthquakes, its raging wildfires, if it isn't 125 degrees, it's 0.

Aint living in California interesting?

Ron

02-01-2007, 07:00 AM
I don't know how many of you guys duck hunt but if you do I'm sure you know that this was one of the most dismall seasons on record. Even worse I wake up yesterday to a lovely, ducky, foggy and overcast sky. Only problem the season closed on sunday. I've seen reports of several guys who regularly got limits this year but they must have been in cohoots with the devil :twisted: If it's not nasty out my chances of getting a duck plumit. Oh well I have all summer to work on my calling I guess.

I just hope this year isn't like the last two. I work for the state controlling a non-native invasive plant called purple loosestrife that grows along the river banks. It seem like the last two years the rains start comming in April/May and the rivers blow up. I don't remember it raining at all that time of year when I was a kid. At any rate I get ready for the treatment season to start and next thing I know I'm driving my airboat through the tops of Cottonwood trees on the San Joaquin "looking" for a plant under 10' of water! Hopefully the river levels will be a little more reasonable this year and I can get an early start on those pesky plants.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-01-2007, 08:58 AM
The last two winters were "big" so now we are getting a "little" one.

Having a drought for one or two years is OK but if it goes on for longer it gets sad.

JerryInLodi
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Mark Twain after living in California,

"Wiskey's for drinkin', water's for fightin' over!"

2short
02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
What do suppose this will do to the summer fishing if it doesn't rain much in the next few months? Think it will thin out the trout in the mountain streams?

Ed Wahl
02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
It'll work two ways in the mtns. Early season will be very good with fishable water levels and active bugs. Very rarely get those around the opener. Late season it'll be a lot tougher. The fish can handle it but the lower water levels will make it a lot tougher to catch them. Lower elevation streams will be a lot warmer than usual so hooking and playing the trout will put a lot of stress on them. Have to get 'em in quick and take a little extra time holding them in the current to revive. Another thing about California winters, it aint over til it's over. This can still turn around and flood for 2 months. Ed

Digger
02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
After many tries without success earlier this winter, a low-latitude connection underneath the persistent large-amplitude ridge has finally been established across the eastern Pacific between a mean-trough position north of Hawaii and the persistent large-amplitude trough over North America the past several days. Southern California and northern Baja have so far been the only beneficiaries of this development. However, the models generally, and the Global Forecast System (GFS) in particular, are indicating that the present low-latitude upper flow south of the ridge will eventually deepen in latitude, as the ridge itself becomes more entrenched at higer latitudes. This will allow the possibility of identifiable surface lows to make their way under the northward-displaced Pacific High to affect California, beginning middle or late next week.

This morning's GFS ensembles would argue that the first system of substance to make it across the Eastern Pacific will most likely give rain to Southern CA, probably Th 8 Feb. However, last night's GFS and this morning's European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) suggest that northern and Central CA have a better chance, and as early as W 7 Feb. (Both models indicate this will be preceeded by a weak system now N of Hawaii that will approach the coast over the weekend, but turn north and weaken west of 130W, bringing no pcpn onshore.) The ECMWF, in my opinion, is the most optimistic for HMT, with the possiblity of 2-3 IOP potential systems over a week period beginning with the one on W 7th.

Atmospheric Insights - Ed Berry

Darian
02-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Huhhhhhh,..... Whadesay :?: :?: :?: :?: Dam!!!! I gotta get out more often. :lol: :lol:

WinterrunRon
02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Digger,

I was thinking the exact same thing! Wierd, huh?

Ron

JerryInLodi
02-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Says it may rain just a little bit in a week or so. I knew that weather stuff on the OUPV license would come in handy some day.

Digger
02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Digger,

I was thinking the exact same thing! Wierd, huh?

Ron

beats the heck out of doin' the nekked rain dance...(neighbors have complained)