PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco this weekend , 2/3/'07

David Lee
01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Ed Wahl and I will be tubin' Seco this coming Saturday .

Ed will be fighting the cabin-nuttys and learning to cast left-handed :unibrow: .

I will be fishing and laughing at Ed :lol: :lol: :lol: .

If anyone would like to join us , let us know .... so I can bring extra chow/flies/etc. . A group outing could be amusing ......

David :D

Dave4622
01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Sounds like fun, a good place to meet fellow fly fishers. What time do you plan on going out?

David Lee
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Dave46 -

I'm not sure .... I'd guess around 8:00AM ?? I figure Ed'll get up early for breakfast over here , and it isn't more than an hour from here .

I'll PM you after I sort the time . Bring something to float in , a 5-7 wt. rod , floating or I lines , and Buggers/Damsels from #14-#6 .

Dave4622
01-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Sounds good. Looking forward to meeting up. Dave

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.kiene.com/reports/ponds/ranchoseco.htm

There is some basic info under our REPORTS pages on Rancho Seco.

With waders you can wade some of those east side coves.

Most will be in a float tube, v-boat or pontoon boat.

You can use a boat with oars or an electric motor. No gas motors.

Canoes and kayaks are nice too.

I think some of my friends who fish there use clear slow sinking lines.

I know they plant it in the winter with trout and they have some fishing derbies out there too.

It's nice place with lots of room.

I will check with Chuck Campana about what he uses out here.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Anybody hear anything about Rancho Seco lately?

Any favorite flies for there for the trout?

Ed Wahl
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
8:00 am should work out fine. What's this about breakfast? :nod:

David Lee
01-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Breakfast ???

Flour tortillas covered in refritos and a little cheese ..... then , several huevos covered in more cheese and chopped pickled homegrown Caribbean Red Habaneros :twisted: OR homefrys , eggs , sausage .

Just you wait for my shore lunch - you won't believe it :eek:

BTW .... I was going thru my 30 or so flyboxes .... lookin' for some stillwater stuff . Found some extended body Damsel nymphs in #14 , and some braided marabou Damsels in #16 .

I think I might have the cure for those fussy , snotty fishes :idea:

David :twisted: :twisted:

Ed Wahl
01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
That's the spirit, don't take no crap from snotty fishes. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
I called Chuck Campana who is retired and fishes Rancho Seco with friends every winter.

He said they planted it last week.

He said you could put any warm blooded human in a float tube with fins and a #2 sinking line (those clear lines should work) and one of Jay Fair's Rusty Brown #12 woolly buggers and if they let out some line and kicked around the lake they will out fish everyone.

Chuck said you might head over to the east side of the lake where it is shallow and maybe a little warmer water.

If you see any dimpling the surface I would just cast and strip a small #14/16 nymph by them.

I will be getting ready to go to Florida so I don't think I will be there.

Sounds like a fun outing though.

Ed Wahl
01-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Chuck has a way with words doesn't he. Thanks for the runnin down the info Bill. Ed

David Lee
02-01-2007, 06:37 PM
The list so far ......

Ed Wahl
David Lee
Dave4622
Cvingom
Darian (coming late , I think ....)
Hairstacker

The shore-lunch should be interesting ..... :evil: If anyone else shows .... bring food . I have enough chow for the 6 above .

David Lee
02-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Here's the link for directions ....

http://www.smud.org/about/recreation/rancho.html

I'll be bringing lunch for 6 , if you guys want fruit , chips , etc .... bring them .

Take the left turn just before crossing the dam - we will be launching from that side . I'll be in the blue/green round tube . We will break for lunch around 12:00 , BS a while , then fish 'till evening .

Safe trip boys , I'll see y'all in the morning !!

Dave4622
02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I have fruit for us.

02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey David and all,

Sounds like you guys have a great day planned :) ! If I hadn't promised my wife Dana a fishing trip up on the Lower Sac tomorrow I would love to join you all. We have a float trip planned which is sort of our finish to a week long celebration of our 29th year wedding anniversary. Our actual anniversary was last week on the 28th. I would love to get out there with you folks in the coming weeks.

Have a great trip!

Bill

ps, I hope to have a good report for you all and hope to hear a good one from you as well.

David Lee
02-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry you can't make it , Bill .

Have a very happy Anni !!

If the fishing's half as good as the BS/party ...... it should be a fun one :idea:

David :D :D :D

Ed Wahl
02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Congratulations Bill, sounds like you and Dana really know how to live. Ed