PDA

View Full Version : Another in a series of "firsts" for me this season

WinterrunRon
01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Landed this large, handsomely colored lad yesterday. I included the fly in the picture for you so you don’t have to wonder. Again, not the chrome fish I'm looking for, but he provided the best fight of the year so far. I've hooked other fish this year larger (this one was 10-11 pounds) and the larger fish pulled harder, but this dude had my reel screaming 30-45 feet or so into my backing immediately upon hookup when he decided that sanctuary would be found mid-river and way, way, way downstream. I know 30-45 feet or so doesn't sound like much, but I hooked him about 10 feet out in front of me, so he first ripped off the remaining 120 feet of fly line… in the blink of an eye! That's 160+ feet of line for an American River hatchery fish having been in fresh water for several weeks.

After he made his initial run, I reeled him back upstream and quickly got him under control. But go step it off… 10 ft then another 150… that’s unreal! The one thing I've learned about steelhead, you can't predict their personality by looking at ‘em.

There's a bigger story here I want to share and it involves another first for me.

I knew someday, if I fished long enough, I'd hook a steelhead on my first cast, it's the hole-in-one of fishing. In fact, I've dreamed of it. But I thought it would be hundreds of thousands of casts from now chest deep in some distant coastal or Alaskan river under the canopy of grey hair.

It seems that many times, my fish come as the result of something I've learned by observing, reading, watching or listening to others. In fact, I'm convinced you cannot become an accomplished angler on your own. There's simply way too much to learn and not enough time available in a lifetime.

In this case, I took away from the teachings of Dec Hogan and John Hazel (two very experienced Northcoast steelheaders) to always start with a short cast and fish your first cast as good as your longest cast, because they've hooked plenty of fish in close on an initial cast. Not one to question the experience of others having more than I, I've made it a part of my routine, always quietly entering the river (or not at all if it's not necessary), then, in this instance, using my 13ft rod to deliver the initial 10 ft cast, believing that I could, and would, someday, hook a steelhead on my very first cast.

No longer just a dream, here he is…

Ron

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/WinterrunRon/IMG_0549.jpg

Matt Frey
01-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Congratulations! What a great story.

sculpin
01-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Nice fish and story Ron . Now you can look forward to catching a fish on your first and second cast . I have caught far more fish on the Rogue almost at my feet than on the other side of the river.

Mark

jbird
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Good job Ron! What a handsome fish! Catching a fish on the first cast is usually a curse for me. Its happened more than a few times over the years and I dont recall it ever ending up a high producing day. Of coarse, every time it happens I immediately think its gonna be a thriller of a day :? :D It definitly doesnt take away from the thrill of getting a fish on the first cast!

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Some of my old friends who are veteran fly fishers always stopped me from just wading right into the river too.

They said that, especially early, the fish can be right on the banks.

Great report and information Ron.

flygolf
01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Nice fish!

Hairstacker
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Great job Ron! Man, and on a 1st cast no less! Good thing you were on your game right away, as you sure didn't get much chance to mentally warm up, did you? :lol: Great report, by the way -- love hearing about backing screaming through the guides! 8) Also, as others noted, thanks for reminding us not to wade right into the water we should be fishing. :thumbsup:

Ed Wahl
01-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, my first trout fishing trip I got yelled at for that. Memories,memories. Ed

Buck
01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Hello Ron
Your photos should be in a magazine!

What kind of camera do you use?

Buck

WinterrunRon
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks, fellas.

Buck. I use a Canon A610.

Ed, you got yelled at for what? I think I missed your point.

Jay, I know what you mean. If I were in it for casts per fish, I would have quit after I landed it and went home. I only plan on one fish an outing and I don't care if it comes on the first cast or the last. Either way, it's a thriller of a day for me... but I'm not going home early if it comes on the first cast!

Ron