PDA

View Full Version : Anybody fish the canals in Natomas?

MG Mason
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to these boards (as a participant) but I have been reading them for a long time. I love flyfishing, although I have only been at it for about a year. I work in Natomas and there are canals running through the area, that look like they could hold fish. I have seen people who were, I assume catfishing, so I thought there could be panfish of some sort that could be caught on flies. I would love to put in an hour or two before work or after work fishing. If anyone know s the area I would love any advice...

Thanks and I love the furum here!

David Lee
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi MG -

The one behind Home Depot (Truxel ) has Carp , Largemouth , and I would think Sunfish . I've caught a few Bass there and landed a nice Carp once .

Try late March .... when the water warms a bit .

David :D

Ed Wahl
01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
MG, welcome aboard. As to those canals, go for it. They were there long before the development happened. I know there's catfish and carp in them so it stands to reason there should be panfish and bass as well. Can't complain about travel time either. Ed

BillPu
01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Do you park at the Home Depot and then walk to the canal? I've seen it in passing but wasn't sure it was open to the public.

David Lee
01-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Do you park at the Home Depot and then walk to the canal? I've seen it in passing but wasn't sure it was open to the public.

Yup .

I guess everything that isn't posted is open to the public . I used to live out that way , and I saw lots of locals walking Dogs and hiking along that canal . There are several other canals between Truxel and Norwood (north of 80) , but some have VERY high banks - if you bail into one of the steep ones , you're screwed , big time .

Scope 'em out , and avoid the ones that can kill you .

David :D

Darian
01-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey Bill,.... There're some other interesting canals/ponds in the North Natomas area. 8) If you follow Truxel out to the end, there's a canal that runs along Elverta just outside of Rio Linda. Also, there's a park pond just off Truxel north of Del Paso Blvd. 8) Don't forget the slow portions of the american River.....

If you can get hold of a map of the county, you'll find canals, ponds and sloughs all over. Nearly all of 'em have Black Bass, Catfish and Panfish. :D :D

mike N
01-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Tristan,

You are confusing lake antoma with north natomas. NOrth natomas and the canals are out by arco arena.

Those canals and back waters out at lake natoma are pretty cool. Access is on the bike path at the north east side of the hazel bridge.

MN

MG Mason
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding so quick. It sounds like there is a lot of water near where I work! That is pretty exciting and makes it hard to concentrate on work... Also it is scary how fast it is building up out here. My dad used to pheasant hunt where Arco Arena is now.